Stark Learning Center is one of the major instructional facilities on our campus. It provides almost 220,000 square feet of classroom, laboratory, studio and office space.Academically speaking, our pharmacy program occupies the first and third floors of the Stark Learning Center; engineering & physics rooms, labs, and equipment are on the second floor. Biology, chemistry & health sciences facilities reside among the first, second, and third floors. And the fourth floor is home to our mathematics & computer science and environmental engineering & earth sciences areas.
Artistically speaking, our art gallery, founded in 1973, graces the first floor of the building. The Gallery was established with gifts from the Andrew J. Sordoni foundation.
The university's 5,500-square-foot television/telecommunications facility occupies part of the basement.
- If you were at Wilkes after 1957 you took part in one of the major expansion events on the campus of Wilkes College
-- the opening of Stark.
Stark Hall, as it was originally known, was used as the science building on campus. To make room for the new building, the Ashley Hall and Butler Hall Annexes were removed in June of 1956. These Annexes were converted from garages in October 1946 to provide more space for students. Lecture Halls "A" and "B," which opened in October 1948, stood behind the first Barre Hall at 154 South River Street and were integrated into Stark Hall.
The original science building was dedicated in honor of the late Admiral Harold R. Stark, Honorary Chairman of the Board of Trustees on September 27, 1957. Admiral Stark was such an esteemed member of the military that President Eugene Farley received a letter from Winston Churchill and a telegram from Dwight Eisenhower, congratulating Wilkes on dedicating the building in honor of Admiral Stark.
- In January 1964, an new extension of Stark Hall opened on the side near Chase Hall. This added 91 new rooms and solidified Wilkes' commitment to graduate technical education. Also included in this renovation was a $1 million research center.
- In 1971, Wilkes planned to dramatically expand Stark Hall by attaching an academic
building to the South River Street side. In preparation for this project, Wilkes razed
five of the six buildings which stood between the President's Home (now, the Annette
Evans Alumni House) and Chase Hall.
In the summer of 1971, Wilkes razed the first Barre Hall at 154 South River Street, Butler Hall at 158, Ashley Hall at 164, Warner Hall at 170 and Bennet/Denison Hall at 180. The only building left between the President's Home and Chase Hall was a women's dorm which stood at 150 South River Street. It was later removed in 1973.
- In June 1972, the Agnes Flood caused major delays to the Stark expansion project, however, it was finally completed in January 1975.