The English Major at Wilkes – The Writing Concentration
Our “Writing Concentration,” emphasizes the close study of literature, other texts (including visual and digital texts), writing, research, and critical theory. Our program emphasizes the development of skills in core areas of literary and English studies:
- The development of skills in language, writing, reading and rhetoric
- The practice of critical and creative thinking and writing
- The examination of the diversity of human identity and experience.
As a student in our English program, you can expect these experiences:
- Select courses from a wide range of literary periods and genres
- Work closely with our faculty in the classroom
- Close advising and mentoring by your English faculty advisor
- Small classroom size
- Classes in historic Kirby Hall where the program is located
- Workshop with guest writers as part of the program’s “Spring Writers Series”
In addition, you can also simultaneously complete a minor in “Creative Writing” or “Workplace Writing” while completing the major.
Co-Curricular and Internship Opportunities
You can participate in one or more of the many co-curricular opportunities the English program offers, including The Inkwell Quarterly, The Manuscript, and the Writing Mentors program. To learn more, check out the links to each of these on the website’s main page.
Many of our majors also complete internships in areas that serve career interests and passions.
Careers and Professions – Our Recent Graduates
The skills, values, and habits of thought acquired through the study of language, theory, and literature prepare you for leadership positions and careers in law, graduate school, communications, journalism, publishing, business, government service, and other professional areas.
Recent graduates with Concentration in Writing
- Energy Team Administrator and Policy Analyst at the Bipartisan Policy Center's Energy Project, Washington, DC
- Editor at elephantjournal.com
- Independent film maker and screenwriter
- Media specialist with the Accomack County Public Schools in Virginia
- Sports reporter for The Express-Times in Easton, PA
- Sales Supervisor at Gertrude Hawk Chocolates
- Staff reporter and editorial assistant at The Wayne Independent
- Copywriter/web analyst
- Writer at Hippocampus Magazine
- Coordinator of Student Activities at Swarthmore College
To learn more, please contact Dr. Larry Kuhar, chairperson of the English Department, at Lawrence.Kuhar @Wilkes.edu (570-408-4532).