Ground Deformation Survey in Yellowstone National Park
Annual Ground Deformation Survey using a Global Positioning System
The survey is a collaborative effort involving YNP staff, geologists, GPS specialists, and students.
- To demonstrate to undergraduate students how GPS is used to monitor crustal movement at the Yellowstone Caldera
- To track and develop a record of ground deformation for the western region of the Caldera
- An ideal training ground for the application of GPS to active volcanic systems.
- Puts advanced GPS instruments in the hands of undergraduate students.
- Ground deformation results, in part, mirror the results of more comprehensive monitoring surveys.
- Deformation pattern is marked by ongoing uplift of the central region of caldera floor.
For more information contact Dr. Sid Halsor