facebook twitter Blogger YouTube
Font Size: T T T

General Info

148 S. Main St. • Emergency Line 570-408-4999 (T) • 570-408-2FIX (T) • 570-408-4985 (F) • Email

In the case of emergencies, please contact Safety and Security at 570-408-4999

Take care of yourself.
With independence comes personal responsibility so we consider campus safety to be everyone’s job.

That means, keep your eyes open. Hang onto your university keys. And abide by campus policies and procedures.

Luckily, Wilkes University is a safe and secure campus. Located in the largely residential Historic District of Wilkes-Barre, we are surrounded by graceful homes and well-kept gardens. Entrances to residence halls remain locked at all times. Emergency call boxes are located outside the entrances to our house-style residence halls. And security personnel patrol the campus every night to ensure every building is locked and secure.

Security of University Facilities
Any student who enters a building after the building has been closed, or who remains in a building after hours without authorized permission, or who fails to leave a building when so directed by a University official will be subject to serious disciplinary action.

The security of all University buildings and the contents of those buildings are the concern of all members of the University community. The unauthorized possession of a key to any University building or office is considered a serious offense and will be subject to disciplinary action.

Wilkes University is private property and access to the buildings and facilities is restricted to those who have justifiable cause for being present.

The University frequently sponsors programs and events which are open to the community. The Chief of Security, or security personnel, as well as University officials acting in the discharge of their duties, are authorized to request identification from people present on campus and to determine the nature of their purpose for being on campus. If it is determined that a person should not be on campus and refuses to leave University property when requested to do so, the local police will be contacted to deal with the situation.

Visitors who violate University regulations, whether they are students or non-students, are subject to restriction from University owned buildings.
Back to Top

Attention is called to the fact that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has enacted a law regarding the crime of stalking.

The law states: A person commits the crime of stalking when one engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts toward another person including following the person without proper authority, under circumstances which demonstrate either of the following:

  • An intent to place the person in reasonable fear of bodily injury.
  • An intent to cause substantial emotional distress to the person.

Missing Persons Policy:
In accordance with the Higher Education Act of 2008, all resident students have the opportunity to register a personal contact in the event that the student would be reported officially missing during their time at Wilkes University. This personal contact will be notified by the University within 24 hours, in the case that the student is reported to be missing and updated throughout the investigation. Students will be provided an opportunity to fill out a personal contact form at the beginning of each year and this information will be maintained by the offices of Residence Life, Student Affairs, and Public Safety.
If any member of the Wilkes community believes that a student is missing, the Office of
Public Safety should be contacted immediately. In an attempt to locate the student there will be a joint effort between Public Safety, Student Affairs, and Residence Life. If a student is identified as missing, the University reserves the right to access and inspect the student’s room. Assistance from local law enforcement agencies will be requested as deemed appropriate by the University.

Student Permit
Parking Applications

Any urban university faces the constraints of available parking. Wilkes faces these complexities and has a limited number of on-campus parking spaces to allocate to Commuting and Resident Students. All on-campus parking is by permit only, and a fee is assessed for those who apply for and are granted a permit. Cars without permits parked on campus property, or parked in violations of regulations will be towed. Cars will be towed without prior ticketing or prior notification.

Everyone who uses Wilkes University parking areas does so at their own risk. The University assumes no liability for damage to privately owned vehicles.

Restricted Areas
Vehicles will be towed immediately if parked in any of the following locations:
  • Driveways
  • Loading Zones
  • Construction Zones and Areas
  • Sidewalks
  • Fire Lanes
  • Grass and Greenway Areas
  • Outdoor Basketball Courts
  • Handicapped Areas without Handicapped Permit
  • Visitor Spaces without Visitor's Permit

Locations of University Lots 
The lot between Chase Hall and Stark Learning Center is reserved for handicapped and visitor parking. Visitor permits for this lot are issued in Chase Hall,1st Floor Admissions Office. 
The Library Lot is for Library visitor's only. Permits for this lot are issued on a daily basis at the main desk of the Library.
All remaining lots are posted as either Faculty/Staff/Commuter lots or Resident Student Lots. Parking in any University lot requires an offical Wilkes University Parking permit. Vehicles without permits are subject to ticketing and/or towing.
Wilkes university maintains a parking lot at the Ralston Field Athletic Complex. Shuttle service is available to and from the Ralston Lot Monday – Friday from 6:00 AM to 18:00 PM Sundays 18:00 PM to 22 :00 PM. Public Safety (408-2349 / on campus ext. 2349) can be call for a escort to or from Ralston after the Shuttle operations stop. (Any time after)

Handicapped Parking
Students with disabilities, permanent or temporary, are to consult with the Security Parking Attendant, Security/Information Desk, Stark Lobby for information on handicapped parking. Permits will be issued by the Parking Attendant, and access to handicapped parking spaces on campus is on a first come, first served basis and you must have a PennDOT-approved license plate or placard to get a permanent handicapped permit. Students with a temporary disability will be issued a handicapped parking permit pending verification by the Coordinator of Health Services of their need for this permit.

Off-Campus Parking
Some parking in areas and privately owned lots adjacent to the University are available at varying rates. Students wishing to use these spaces should make individual arrangements to do so.

Students who utilize on street parking should be cognizant of metered areas, no-parking zones, limited parking areas, street cleaning days, private driveways and fire hydrants.

Traffic Council
Traffic Council serves as the moderator and the original disciplinary council which deals with students regarding parking and parking policy violations on campus and in University owned lots. It has the responsibility to hear and adjudicate cases involving ticketing and towing. Cases and appeals should be directed to the Manager of Public Safety, Gerald Rebo, University Service Center or emailed to parking@wilkes.edu, within one week of the student's notification of the violation. (Reference the section regarding the Traffic Council under Governance in this publication.)

Back to Top

Off-Campus Students & Community Relations
Some students of junior or senior class standing at the University will elect to move off campus. In doing so, they assume a particular set of responsibilities as they enter the larger community of Wilkes-Barre and its environs.

In a city community the life-style of neighbors will vary considerably. Wilkes is located in a residential area and respect for the property, privacy, and life-style of all the University's neighbors is expected.

The University has established regulations for those living on campus based on safety and respect for others. It is essential, therefore, for students living off campus to create a positive climate of mutual respect for their neighbors. Certainly the foremost of these regulations is that students residing off campus must live in conformity with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the City of Wilkes-Barre. Similarly, conduct by off-campus students or guests visiting their apartments cannot interfere with the reasonable expectations of neighbors. Such conduct is typically manifested by concern for excessive noise levels, littering of property, and boisterous behavior as students move between off-campus and on-campus locations.

Off-campus students will, therefore, be expected to behave in such a manner that will afford their neighbors their rights as citizens and will promote positive neighbor/community/University relationships. Noise, littering, or other complaints referred to University security or the Dean of Student Affairs or his delegate will be referred to the City police for disposition under the laws governing the City of Wilkes-Barre. Just as the University campus cannot be regarded as a sanctuary from the law, students who elect to live off campus cannot expect immunity from reasonable expectations of their neighbors and/or City ordinances. Disciplinary action will be taken by the University regarding such complaints independent of criminal or civil action. Second offenses will be considered as very serious violations of University policy.

Students residing in off campus apartments need to be aware that City and State Police may enter a dwelling without a search warrant if they have reason to suspect a crime is being committed. Obviously, this can pertain to the underage consumption of alcohol.

Conduct and noise interfering with the life-style of off-campus students' neighbors are unacceptable and will result in sanctions imposed through the usual University disciplinary channels. Students who elect to live off campus and who become involved in disciplinary matters need to be aware of the limitations of the range of sanctions available to the Student Affairs Cabinet. Sanctions may typically include, but are not limited to, Conditional Suspension (which precludes representing the University in any official capacity) and the loss of Wilkes University grants or University generated aid.

By electing to live in a more independent setting, students living off campus also accept the obligation to live by increased variances in life-style and awareness of those residing around them.

Varying circumstances often require that students return to, or move about, the campus in the late evening or early morning hours. Students and their guests are expected to do so in a quiet manner so as not to disturb the University community or the neighbors in the area surrounding the campus. Excessive noise, violation of personal or private property, and littering of public areas constitute behavior that is unacceptable. Conduct of this type will not be tolerated, and students who behave in such a manner will be reported by Security and will be subject to disciplinary action through routine disciplinary channels of the University or through criminal or civil procedures.

Identification Card
Students at the University are issued an official identification card. This card is to be carried at all times. Presentation of the University I.D. card will gain the holder admission to various University events and can be utilized for some qualified ticket discounts or as identification for check cashing purposes at some financial institutions. If an identification card is lost, a replacement may be obtained, for a fee, at Public Safety Center, 148 South Main Street. 

A student is to present his/her identification card, upon request, to authorized University personnel.

A student may not refuse to provide authentic personal identification when requested to do so by a properly identified University official.

Any alteration or deletion of the picture on the I.D. card will render the card invalid.
Back to Top

Jury Duty
Persons over eighteen years of age may be called to serve on a jury. The University encourages students to accept their responsibility as a citizen and to serve when called. Upon the presentation of proper documentation the Office of Deans of Student Affairs will notify a student's faculty members that the student has been summoned for jury duty.

The possession or use of firearms, deadly weapons, or explosives or explosive substances on University property by unauthorized persons is strictly forbidden. CO2 and spring-propelled guns are also prohibited.

Firearms and Dangerous Weapons
Those who have a permit to carry a concealed firearm may not bring the firearm on campus or to University sponsored events held off campus. CO2 weapons are also prohibited on campuOnly authorized law enforcement personnel may possess a firearm while on University property.
Back to Top

Gambling on University property is not permitted.

Campus organizations may not hold raffles on or off campus.
Back to Top

Because of the support given to the University by community business firms in the annual campaign, students and student groups are not permitted to solicit contributions from off-campus organizations. Only those campus publications which are authorized to do so may seek advertising for their respective publications.

Off-campus individuals and organizations are not allowed to solicit on the campus. Exceptions to this stated policy must be considered by the Student Affairs Cabinet.

Use of University Identity
The University name, seal and logotype must not be used in any announcement, advertising matter, publication, correspondence or report in connection with personal or unofficial activities of faculty member, staff or students if such use could in any way be construed as implying endorsement of any project product or service. Any external use of the University identity must be approved through the University Relations Office.
Back to Top

Campus Attire
Dress standards on the campus, in the classroom, in the library, in the cafeteria, in campus offices and at social events should at all times be acceptable and appropriate for the occasion and location.

Concern for one another indicates the necessity for clothing that is neat and clean. Shoes and shirts must be worn in all administrative and academic areas and where food is being prepared, handled or served.

Any club, organization, athletic team or teams gathered for special events such as Winter Weekend who wish to have apparel with a design or logo imprinted on the material must obtain permission for the logo or design. Such approval will be granted through the Office of the Coordinator of Student Activities. Designs and logos must conform to commonly established standards of good taste. Lewd, obscene, vulgar, intimidating, ridiculing, threatening or demeaning symbols and/or statements are not acceptable on apparel which represents the University or University sponsored events. Every aspect of University life is to be free from discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, disability or sexual orientation or preference. Discrimination cannot occur in our community through word, action or visual presentation. 

Change of Address or Name
Students are to submit any change of address or name to the Registrar's Office. This information is extremely important in case of family emergencies, and ensures that University correspondence is directed to the correct address.

Safety Precautions
Students are never permitted on the roof of any University building. This regulation is a matter of students' safety and is further regulated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania safety regulations and the University's insurance carrier.

If it is necessary to retrieve a lost item from the roof of any building, maintenance should be called for assistance.

The removal of window screens is prohibited. Dropping or throwing objects, solid or liquid from windows of any University building is prohibited.

Alteration, tampering with, or tapping into TV cable, telephone lines, or computer lines is prohibited. Tampering with elevators is prohibited.

Safety concerns and insurance regulations do not allow rollerblades to be used in any academic, administrative or residence hall facilities of the University. Similarly, bicycles may not be taken into classroom or administrative buildings.
Back to Top

Fire Alarm Systems
All University buildings are equipped with local "in-house" fire alarm systems. These systems do not alert the Wilkes-Barre Fire Department. The alarms sound in the building and at the Public Safety Center.

If an alarm is sounded in a building, people in that building should vacate the building using the closest available exit. It is imperative that every person respond to a fire alarm and vacate a building in which an alarm is sounded. This procedure reflects both the law and common sense. Students who fail to vacate a building when a fire alarm is sounded will be subject to disciplinary action.

The following charges and penalties will automatically be invoked for students who fail to vacate a residence hall when an alarm is sounded:

    First Offense: $50 penalty charge and referral to the Residence Life Office.

    Second Offense: $75 penalty charge and possible dismissal from campus residence.

The Wilkes-Barre Fire Department (911) must be notified of the location of the fire, the name of the campus building, and the street address of the fire. If an alarm is sounded Stark Learning Center, the fire department is automatically notified by an alarm company.

Tampering with fire extinguishers and other fire equipment, or the sounding of false alarms is a serious threat to the safety of all and is strictly prohibited. Violations of this policy will result in serious disciplinary action by the University.

The following system of charges and penalties is automatically invoked against students who tamper with fire extinguishers:

    First Offense:
    • If an individual is deemed responsible, $100 penalty and referral to Student Affairs Cabinet.
    • If a residence hall is deemed responsible, $5 penalty charge per resident; minimum charge, $25.

    Second Offense:
    • If an individual is deemed responsible, $100 penalty and dismissal from campus residence; notification forwarded to the Fire Chief.
    • If a residence hall is deemed responsible, $5 penalty charge per resident; residence hall probation; notification of same to Student Affairs Cabinet.

Bulletin Boards
Campus bulletin boards are under the jurisdiction of various academic departments, the Marketing Communications Office, and the Coordinator of Student Activities. Students are encouraged to use bulletin boards in the Student Union.

Placement of signs on departmental bulletin boards is prohibited. Also, any notice or flyer that is placed on walls or glass or doors will be removed immediately. The single exception to this regulation applies to the posting of Emergency Notifications which are placed on the doors of buildings to ensure adequate information reaches the members of the University Community relative to safety and security concerns.

Because of limited space, priority for postings will be given to the following groups and individuals: any recognized campus organization that is promoting an event, fundraiser, or meeting; special University functions; individuals who wish to advertise books or other merchandise for sale; individuals looking for rides home or to area colleges; individuals looking for a roommate or to rent an apartment, etc.

Area businesses such as pizza parlors, restaurants, stores, or nightclubs must contact the Coordinator of Student Activities before posting anything on campus or in campus mailboxes. Failure to do so will result in the immediate removal of any or all posted materials.
Back to Top

Social Events and Facilities
All social events must be registered with and approved by the Office of Student Affairs, specifically, with the Coordinator of Student Activities. All requests for use of residence hall facilities must be initiated and cleared through the Residence Life Office.

Any campus organization planning to enter into a contractual relationship with an off-campus agency or group (bands, concerts, rentals, services, etc.) must have the contract reviewed first by the Student Affairs Cabinet through the office of the Director of Student Activities.

Contracted groups who use University facilities must supply the University with a "Certificate of Insurance" indicating coverage for liability and property damage.

  • © |
  • Wilkes University |
  • 84 West South Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766 |
  • 1-800-WILKES-U
  • |
  • Privacy Policy*