facebook twitter Blogger YouTube
Welcome to Wilkes University » Admissions at Wilkes University  » International » International Applicants - Graduate
Font Size: T T T

International Applicants - Graduate

Chase Hall • 570-408-6120 (T) • 570-408-4904 (F) • Email

Wilkes University’s growing global perspective
and commitment to education in an evolving and multicultural world is illustrated by the increasing number of students from abroad who study here.  The University feels so strongly about this initiative that it has invested in the development of a new Center for Global Education and Diversity.

Once you are accepted into the graduate program of your choice, the Center for Global Education and Diversity will assist you in getting your visa, and by offering numerous orientation programs, and cultural and social events designed to introduce you to the Wilkes University experience and American culture.

Our International Graduate Admissions office in the College of Graduate and Professional Studies  is eager to assist you with the application process, including help with admissions requirements for each program.  Please see the links for information you need for your program of interest in the left hand column, and also the related links in the right hand column, of this page.

All Graduate international students are welcome to apply online at:

1.    A completed application
Each graduate program has a checklist of materials required for admission. These checklist items can be monitored online once your application is submitted at: http://wilkes.edu/applyonline.  Please use the username and password you created with your online application to login.   All international students must submit items 1-4 listed on this page and based on your program of interest additional items are required for example you may also have to send  letters of recommendation, statements of goals, licenses, and/or writing samples :     

In addition to individual program requirements, all international students are required to submit the following to:
            Student Services - Graduate Studies
            Wilkes University
            84 W South Street
            Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766

2. Secondary school and/or university transcript.

International graduate students are required to send official transcripts to World Education Services when applying for any graduate program at Wilkes University. Contact the College of Graduate and Professional Studies with any questions.    

3. Official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Sufficient Scores for Graduate Work are as follows:

TOEFL Paper Based 550
TOEFL Computer Based 213
TOEFL Internet Based 79

Scores on these standardized tests will determine if students first need to participate in the Intensive English Program (IEP) upon arrival. Any student with insufficient TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores, must first study in the IEP. Graduate students must receive a sufficient TOEFL or IELTS score to in addition to completing the IEP in order to begin graduate studies. No academic courses may be completed until English requirement is fulfilled. (Please see IEP exit criteria).

4.  Statement of financial verification (bank or government statement indicating that you or your sponsor have on account a sum of money sufficient to pay tuition, room, board, and expenses for one academic year.

5. A copy of the picture page of your passport

Applicants who plan to begin school in August should complete the online application and submit all admissions documents by June 15. Those who plan to begin in January should return applications and documents by November 15.

All applicants will be informed as to the admissions decision. The Form I-20 is sent only with a letter of acceptance.

Domestic Transfer Students
Once you have been admitted into the Graduate Program of your choice you are required to transfer your SEVIS number from the domestic college or university to Wilkes University.

In order to transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University, please submit a copy of your Wilkes acceptance letter and the International Transfer Student Form to your Designated School Official (DSO) at your current institution and/or follow the procedures for international transfer students at your current school.  The DSO will complete the International Student Transfer Form and fax it back to Felixa Wingen at (570) 408-3626.  Your DSO will then transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University.  Once you arrive on campus, we will issue you a new I-20 for your studies at Wilkes.  If you have any questions about this process please contact  Felixa Wingen at (570) 408-4106 or your current International Student Advisor or DSO.

When you come to pick up your new I-20 from Wilkes University you should bring all relevant documents to Global Diversity office in the Max Roth Center.  Those documents are:

  • Your passport with visa and I-94
  • Your old I-20
  • Your Wilkes acceptance letter
  • Your completed International Student Transfer Form (could be faxed by your old DSO in advance)
  • Financial documents that show that you or your sponsors have sufficient funding for your education at Wilkes University

Please try to have to have your SEVIS record transferred to Wilkes University as soon as possible, once the current semester is over.

If you plan to travel outside the country, it is recommended that you transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University first and then use your new I-20 from Wilkes University to reenter the country.

International Deferment Fee
Should an international student wish to defer to the following semester, there is a $50 deferment fee for processing.

  • |
  • Wilkes University |
  • 84 West South Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766 |
  • 1-800-WILKES-U
  • |
  • Privacy Policy*