facebook twitter Blogger YouTube
Font Size: T T T

How To Apply

Max Roth Center• 570-408-2065 (T) • 570-408-3626 (F) • Email

Important things to know before you start:

1. Allow yourself 3 to 6 months to find a suitable program and destination and another 3 to 6 months for the application process and another. So, if you wish to study abroad in the spring, you should start planning the previous spring because it involves time consuming paperwork, but in the end it will be well worth it.

2. It is recommended that you plan to study abroad in your junior year. While it is possible to study abroad in your sophomore and senior years, sophomores may not be in a position to make the most out of the experience, while seniors need to carefully review their Study Abroad plans to ensure that all degree requirements will be completed upon their return from abroad.

3. To study abroad, students must have good academic standing (2.0 GPA minimum and maintain that standing the entire time prior to departure. Transfer students must ensure that they complete the minimum number of Wilkes credits required for graduation with a Wilkes degree.

4. You may study abroad for a year, a semester, a summer session, or an intersession.

5. Financial aid packages currently cover only students studying abroad during the fall and spring semesters (with some exceptions). Please note that while federal aid, state aid, student loans, and personal loans may be applied toward study abroad, institutional aid (Wilkes scholarship) CANNOT be applied to study abroad.

6. If you plan to study in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand, South America or South Africa) the academic year in these destinations starts in February and ends in November.

7. You should decide well in advance which type of program you wish to attend so that you can structure your search accordingly. Below are the various types of programs available to you:

  • Study Abroad Exchange: We have only one such program in UK. In this program you and a student overseas trade places and you each continue to pay tuition to your respective home institutions and pay room and board to the destination institution.
  • Wilkes faculty-led program: Wilkes students travel overseas as part of a class lead by a Wilkes faculty member and are enrolled in a Wilkes course that is offered either in part or in its entirety abroad.
  • Direct Enrollment: You enroll in a program overseas either directly or through Wilkes or another organization, such as Global Links, CEA, AIFS, or SIT.
  • Service Learning: This is study abroad that is combined with either volunteer or paid part-time employment which is relevant to your studies.
  • Internship Abroad or Work Abroad: To work abroad you may volunteer through the Peace Corps or take part in an internship overseas. Please note that in many cases a work permit is required to do work overseas for which you will be paid.

Deciding on a program:

  • Review the programs listed below and then email your study abroad advisor, Dr. Godlove Fonjweng in the Max Roth Center at godlove.fonjweng@wilkes.edu or call X2065 and schedule a meeting to discuss various program options and application procedures.
  • Attend program information meetings, the Study Abroad Fair , seek information on program datelines, costs, scholarships, financial aid, travel plans and credits transfer.
  • Narrow your choices to three or four programs and use the attached Cost Comparison Form to help you decide which of them is most cost effective.
  • Work with your academic advisor, the Director of Global education and possibly your parents to select one.
  • Your academic advisor will assist you in deciding which of your remaining courses can be taken abroad. General education and free elective courses are the best to take abroad.
  • Make an appointment to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor in UCOM to determine if your Financial Aid is applicable abroad.

Applying to a study abroad program:

Complete the following forms:

For Wilkes faculty-led programs you only need to complete the Study Abroad Application Form. The application Form requires a one page statement of your goals for the study abroad program to which you are applying. Turn in the completed goals to the Director of Global Education, Dr. Godlove Fonjweng in 200 Max Roth, together with your application to study abroad.

For non Wilkes faculty-led programs, you need to arrange, for a letter of reference supporting your abroad application to be sent to the Director of Global Education, Dr. Godlove Fonjweng in 200 Max Roth.

Apply to the specific study abroad program, which may be a study abroad organization, another university, or one of our affiliated/partnert programs. Please note that the deadlines for application materials differ from one program to the other.
Since most study abroad programs require a non-refundable application fee, you may wish to wait for approval to participate in study abroad before you pay the deposit.

After applying bring copies of your application to the Office of Global Education in 200 Max Roth. You may also apply for Study Abroad Scholarships, if applicable and if you are interested. The scholarship may be through a Wilkes department, or an external organization. It is recommended that you complete your financial aid application as early in the process as possible.

Acceptance to a program

Applying for a program does not mean you have already been accepted, so you need to wait for your official letter of acceptance from the institution, which would typically contain additional information on what you need to do next.

If you do not already have one, you will need to apply for a passport, a visa, an International Student Identity Card at: http://www.myisic.com/, and your airline ticket.

You will be required to have adequate health insurance before departure, and you may also need various inoculations, depending on your destination.

To ensure that you remain a full time Wilkes student while you are abroad, you should plan on registering with the Registrar's Office during the semester you spend abroad.

You will need to make arrangements with the Registrar's Office,the Financial Aid Office and the Residence Life Office concerning your return to Wilkes, upon completion of your study abroad program. These offices will need to know whether you plan to return to Wilkes upon completion of your program and if so whether you plan to live on campus when you return and who will sign any papers in your absence. If you will be graduating immediately upon return, you will need to apply for graduation. The Office of Global Education, in collaboration with your academic advisor will assist you in resolving all of these issues.

Each student studying abroad will be required to attend at least one pre-departure orientation session, which is designed to prepare students for their trips abroad.

  • |
  • Wilkes University |
  • 84 West South Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766 |
  • 1-800-WILKES-U
  • |
  • Privacy Policy*