Max Roth Center 570-408-2065 (T) 570-408-3626 (F) Email
Course Name/Program number: History or Communication (HST 101, COM 354, Com 398, HST 398, HST 498)
Course Begins: January, 2013
Travel Dates: January, 2013
Course Completion Date: January, 2013
Faculty Leader/Contact: Dr. Mark Stine & Dr. John Hepp
Academic Credits: 3 credits
List any restrictions: Minimum GPA, pre-requisite, major: GPA 2.75. At least one college semester or with Instructor permission.
Application: TBD | $500 deposit due | details
Application Deadline: TBD | Full payment due | details
Program Fee: Past Trips range from $1999 to $2299 | details
Find the Funding: Scholarship and Financial Aid
Join Professors John Hepp and Mark Stine for an interdisciplinary and intercultural experience studying history and communication in London, England, one of the great cities of the world. This is a spring semester course with up to three credits in either communications studies or history that includes seven days and six nights in London in January, just prior to the start of the spring semester. Students will have an opportunity to consider how culture affects communication and history, as well as explore London actively by foot, bus and tube. Students will meet once for a pre-planning meeting at the end of the fall semester, on the day in January the trip leaves for London, every day whilst in London, and three times during the spring semester.
Students will spend one week in London studying the history of the city and the history of communication. Each day, the class will meet at different sites carefully chosen to enhance the course curriculum. In the past students have visited such diverse sites as the British Museum, British Library, Imperial War Museum and BBC Broadcasting House. In addition to museums, students take walking tours of historic London, and Greenwich, the home of London Observatory and Royal Naval College.
- You may earn up to 3 credits in history or communication studies
- Students may also arrange to take the class as an independent study for either 1 or 2 credits in either history or communication studies, or COM 354, International Field Experience in Communication
- Students may also audit the course (standard audit fees apply)
- A section of this course meets the Wilkes’ General Education requirement for History 101 “Historical Foundations of the Modern World”
In the past, the cost of this trip has been between $1999 and $2299* per person (double or triple occupancy, single rate upon request); the cost for the upcoming trip will be established in September. The travel fees for this course include:
- round trip airfare to London
- ground transportation between Wilkes-Barre and the airport and Heathrow Airport and our central London hotel
- six nights in a tourist class or above hotel
- six breakfasts in London
- dinner on the day of our arrival
- a farewell dinner on our final night
- all museum admissions
- Transport for London pass valid on central tubes and busses for the entire visit
Application Process & Requirements
Students should contact either instructor (firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com) for permission to register. Students must register for a minimum of 1 credit of history or communication studies, or a 1 credit audit. Students are responsible for the possession of a valid U.S. passport, or passport and visa if so required.