Max Roth Center 570-408-7856 (T) 570-408-3626 (F) Email
Location: Madrid, Spain (with 3 days in Paris, France)
Course Name/Program number: Madrid, Spain Total Immersion
Course Begins: July 2, 2014 | Course List
Travel Dates: July 2 - July 29, 2014
Course Completion Date: July 29, 2014
Faculty Leader/Contact: Dr. Paola Bianco
Academic Credits: up to 6 credits. For longer stays (semester), please contact Erica Acosta at 570-408-7856 of email@example.com
Pre-requisites: This trip has no restrictions regarding pre-requisites. We encourage students to take classes within their comfort level, but to expect to be challenged by the curriculum in Madrid. Students of any major can attend. There is a minimum GPA requirement of 2.5.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2013
Program Fee: $4195 | DETAILS
Find the Funding: Scholarship and Financial Aid
Additional Resources: Example Courses/Schedule
Spanish Classes Offered In Madrid:
- Spanish 102 (Elementary Spanish 2)
- Spanish 203 (Intermediate Spanish 1)
- Spanish 204 (Intermediate Spanish 2)
- Conversation of Current Events
- Business Spanish
- Grammar and Composition
- Culture and Civilization of Spain
- Spanish Conversation General Topics
- Advanced Conversation General Topics
- Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- Culture of Latin America
Courses in English language:
- Music and Traditions of Spain
- History of Spain
- Contemporary Spain
- History of Spain: this course, in English, counts as Wilkes History 101 for your General Education Requirement
- Culture and Civilization of Spain, in English, counts as Wilkes Anthropology 101 for your General Education Requirement for Social Sciences
The full four week schedule can be found here
This trip offers a maximum of 6 credits in various classes covering Spanish language, culture, conversation, art, and literature. These courses can be used for credit within the Wilkes University Spanish Program or towards History 101 for the General Education Requirement.
The trip cost of $4,195 (plus starting application fee of $200) includes:
- A single room
- 3 meals daily (except Sunday evenings)
- Airfare from New York to Madrid and from Paris to New York
- Tuition for up to 6 credits
- Airport transfers
- Health and accident insurance
- Any day trips required for individual courses
Personal costs will vary by student. Personal costs must be evaluated by the students based on their plans and spending habits.
The program includes a 4 days 3 nights trip to Paris, France. Travel from Madrid to Paris by plane, transfers, room and breakfast are included in the price.
Students can apply online www.foreignstudy.com or sending it by mail. Students can obtain an application with Dr. Bianco or print it. Applications are accepted until May 1st. We encourage students to apply as soon as possible, as applications fees are progressive. If submitted in either form by December 31st, the deposit fee is of $200.
About Lodging, Meals and Location in Madrid and Paris
In Madrid: Colegio Mayor Mara, Paseo de Juan XXIII, 15, Madrid 28040 Ph: 34-91-553-6603
The main residence and the residence where participants are housed and take classes is the Colegio Mayor Mara. Some of the dorm facilities are: Laundry room, dining room, snack bar, tennis court, pool, auditorium, and basketball court. Some of the classrooms and common areas have air-conditioning, however, the rooms do not.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are provided daily except Sunday. Lunch is not provided on the one day tours that depart in the morning and return in the afternoon. Breakfast consists of coffee, juice, toasts –butter and jelly, bread, cold cuts, pastries and cereals. Lunch consists of a first dish (soup, pasta, legumes, or paella) a main course (chicken, fish, meat) with a side dish of salads or fresh vegetables, bread, and fruit/dessert. Seconds are allowed. Dinner is similar to lunch.
Bedding and towels are provided. Students need to bring a beach towel.
The Mara is situated in the Moncloa section of Madrid's Ciudad Universitaria. Public transportation is within 100 meters from the residence. The residence is approximately 30 minute walking distance from the center of Madrid.
In Paris: Hotel Novotel La Defense, 2 Boulevard de Neuilly, La Défense 192081 PARIS LA DEFENSE CEDEX, FRANCE Tel : (+33)1/41452323
The Novotel Paris La Defense is located on the doorstep of the commercial area, La Defense, 50 meters from the Metro (underground station: LA DEFENSE). The metro station along with a Chinese restaurant and a few stores is around the back of the hotel.
- $200 application fee, $1,000 first installment payment: December 31, 2013
- Final application deadline: May 1, 2014
- Remaining balance is due 45 days before departure