Max Roth Center 570-408-7856 (T) 570-408-3626 (F) Email
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Course Name/Program number: TBA
Course Begins: January 13, 2014
Travel Dates: March 1 - March 8, 2014
Course Completion Date: TBA
Faculty Leader/Contact: Dr. Dennis Hupchick
Academic Credits: 3 credits
Application: December 1, 2013 | $500 deposit due
Application Deadline: January 15, 2014 | Full payment due
Program Fee: $1995 | details
Find the Funding: Scholarship and Financial Aid
You will spend one week visiting in the fabulous city of Istanbul, the center of four empires. Istanbul, formerly known as Constantinople, has served as a bridge between the East and the West for over 2000 years. Our exploration of the city will be led by scholar and expert historian Dr. Dennis Hupchick*. With Dr. Hupchick’s guidance, participants in the program will have the opportunity to delve into the historical, philosophical and cultural influences that have formed this magnificent city.
Cultural And Historic Sites
Istanbul has a wealth of fascinating and rich historic architectural treasures including numerous UNESCO World Heritage sites. These include:
- Hagia Sophia – architectural wonder and museum which was once the center of Christianity and then a grand mosque
- Hippodrome – this arena has been the center of life in this city since built by the Romans
- Topkapi palace – this royal residence and museum is one of the best examples of Ottoman palaces
- The Blue Mosque – beautiful historic mosque
- St. Savior in Khora Church – this fifth century church is a magnificent museum
- Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar – visit two of the world’s most exciting shopping bazaars exploring the treasures of the intersection of Eastern and Western cultures
Price And Logistics
Participants in this program fly to Istanbul accompanied by Wilkes faculty. The group will stay in a hotel in the Old City of Istanbul. Daily activities will be led by Dr. Dennis Hupchick and accompanying Wilkes University faculty. These activities include visits to the neighborhoods and historic sites of Istanbul with Dr. Hupchick serving as expert historian and guide.
The program price includes airfare to Istanbul, hotel, airport transfers, daily breakfast, and some evening meals. Students involved in the program must be registered for HST 398; From Constantinople to Istanbul. Participants who are not current students have the option of further travel in the Mediterranean region (contact Dr. Linda Winkler at firstname.lastname@example.org). This personal travel is also not included in the program cost.
Deposit of $500 due December 1, 2013. Remainder due January 15, 2014. Total Cost: $1995.
- Deposit of $500 due December 1, 2013
- Remainder due January 15, 2014.
For further information about this program or to sign up, contact Dr. Dennis Hupchick or Dr. Linda Winkler.