Max Roth Center 570-408-7856 (T) 570-408-3626 (F) Email
Location: Cali, Colombia
Course Name/Program number: Premedical Studies and Research
Course Begins: July 2015
Travel Dates: TBD
Course Completion Date: November 2015
Faculty Leader/Contact: Linda Gutierrez MD, associate Professor, Department of Biology and Health Sciences; Ms. Georgia Costalas, Executive Director, Center for Global Education and Diversity
Academic Credits: 12 Credits
List any restrictions (Minimum GPA, pre-requisite, major): Minimum GPA: 3.0.
Application Deadline: March 20, 2015
Program Fee: $5155
Find the Funding: Scholarship and Financial Aid
Program Description | Courses to Register For | Total Cost | Housing | Program Blog
This is the only Wilkes University program abroad in South America created especially for the Wilkes Premedical Scholars and Science students. Premedical Scholars can complete their clinical semester abroad at the Universidad ICESI in Cali, Colombia. Students interested in Research or from other areas can spend a semester there studying with an outstanding faculty, which includes many professors trained in the USA and elsewhere. ICESI is an excellent institution of high education in the exciting city of Cali. ICESI has associated with the Fundacion Valle Del Lili, a hospital which is ranked among the best in South America.
Premedical Scholars will complete a coursework at ICESI related to Biology, Medicine and Humanities. Each student's schedule will include rotations in various departments at the Fundacion Valle Del Lili and attendance to medical meetings and seminars. They will be also involved in clinical research. Students will have to register at Wilkes for a minimum of 12 credits, including the clinical internship and the research project. Premedical students or other majors could also spend a semester at ICESI, if their requisites for graduation are fulfilled after consultation with their
advisers. The semester will start on the middle of July and will end on late November.
This course is for an entire Fall semester that begins in July.
- Biomedicine (3 credits), equivalent courses at ICESI: Anatomy, embryology, Medical Microbiology, Toxicology)
- Biomedical Ethics (3 credits) equivalent courses at ICESI: Elective in Ethics and Psychology)
- Senior Research Project 391 and 392 (3 credits) equivalent to the clinical research
- Co---op education and internship (3 credits) credits given to the clinical rotations and medical related activities.
- This is for an entire Fall semester that begins in July.
- This includes room and some meals, airfare, and some cultural activities, hotel and meals in transit to Colombia, insurance, and group expenses such as transport as a group to the airport upon departure and arrival, and faculty travel with the group in July.
- Tuition will be billed and paid directly to Wilkes for this semester abroad.
Estimated personal expenses, not included in total costs: $380
- Passport: $130
- Personal expenses in Cali: $250
Trips associated with the program:
- Visit to Cali's zoo, local museums, and other cultural activities accompanied by Dr. Gutierrez. These trips are included in the program fee.
- Students are expected to deposit $1,000 for the airfare by the end of March.
Students will be allocated in family homes by the Director of International Students in ICESI.