facebook twitter Blogger YouTube
Font Size: T T T

Health and Wellness Services

Passan Hall • 570-408-4730 (T) • 570-408-7873 (F) • Email

The Wilkes University Health and Wellness Services office provides

routine health services for all students, staff and faculty, and is staffed by a certified registered nurse practitioner and a registered nurse. Its mission is to provide care, education and advocacy to improve the health and well being of its students, staff and faculty. Referrals are made to local physicians as deemed necessary.

Who is eligible to use these facilities?

All students (on- and off-campus; full- and part-time), faculty, and staff are eligible for free health care and related counseling at the Health Services Office. Only emergency care will be provided to visitors.

Is there a cost for services?

All medical consultations at the Health Services Office, done by both the doctor and the nurse are free of charge. Office visits off campus, laboratory fees, and antibiotics ($10 charge for all antibiotics, payable at the Health Services Office within one week) will be the responsibility of the student and/or faculty member.

What services are available?
Please Note: All services are strictly confidential.
  • Nursing assessment and physician referral
  • Walk-in physician clinic, Mon, 1pm-4pm & Wed, 9am-12pm | No fee
  • Treatment and medication as indicated for injury, i.e., over-the-counter-medicine such as Tylenol, Advil, and Sudafed (free) and antibiotics ($10/7-day supply)
  • Health screenings: blood pressure, weight, pregnancy testing, and throat cultures
  • Full Satellite Laboratory Services, in affiliation with Wilkes-Barre General Hospital
    Lab fees are the responsibility of the student.
  • Treatment items such as crutches, vaporizers, heating pads, etc.
  • Refrigeration for allergy medicines. Allergy shots given during doctor's hours only.
  • STD counseling and free condoms
  • A nebulizer system to provide respiratory treatments
  • Free medical transportation to the hospital or doctor's office in non-emergency situations
  • Certain immunizations such as Tetanus, TB testing, Hepatitis B, Meningococcal vaccinations, for a fee


Do I need Health Insurance?

Although all services provided within the Health Services and Campus Counseling Offices are free of charge, as of August 2013, a new policy requires that all students living in university owned housing must show proof of health insurance in addition to the completed health form before receiving keys for housing.
The university does offer a voluntary Student Accident and Illness policy.  Please see our website for further information or go to www.chpstudent.com for more information regarding this policy.

Can I get an excuse from class if I am sick?

The Health Services Office will not be responsible for class excuses. If a student experiences a medical emergency which requires hospitalization or consultation with an off-campus medical provider, professors will be notified as a matter of courtesy. Students should, in most cases, arrange to be seen at the Health Services Office at a time not in conflict with class.

Do I need a health history form?

All students must submit a completed health history form (accessible via a link in the right column of this page) provided by the University. All health information is held in the strictest confidence. Medical information is released only with your consent or by a court-ordered subpoena.

  • |
  • Wilkes University |
  • 84 West South Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766 |
  • 1-800-WILKES-U
  • |
  • Privacy Policy*