Office: Stark Learning Center
Dr. Julie Lynn Olenak
Dr. Olenak has served as a Community Practice Faculty member at Wilkes University since 2004. She maintains a clinical practice site at the Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy in Dallas, PA. Dr. Olenak provides patient-care programs such as diabetes education, a hypertension clinic, smoking cessation, immunization clinics, and wellness screenings. Her scholarship interests include: immunizations, bloodborne pathogen OSHA compliance for pharmacies, use of over the counter medications and community based health programs (with a focus on diabetes and cardiovascular programs). She serves as a faculty trainer for the APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Certification program and regularly provides OSHA training at state meetings.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Wilkes University
- Pharmacy Practice Residency with Emphasis in Community Practice, Duquesne University and Hometown Pharmacy
Certificates and Certifications
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery
- Diabetes Care
- Smoking Cessation
- Self-Care and Dermatology
- Comprehensive Diabetes Management
- Principles of Advanced Community Pharmacy Management
- Immunizations/ OSHA
- Olenak JL. Chapter 7: Musculoskeletal Injuries and Disorders. In: Krinsky D, et al Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. 17th edition. Washington, DC: American Pharmacists Association; 2012:101-117.
- Olenak JL., Ference J. Chapter 46: Connective Tissue Disorders. In: Koda-Kimble, et al. Applied Therapeutics. 10th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013: 1054-1065.
- Olenak JL., Russell TM. Introduction to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) for the Practicing Pharmacist. http://www.powerpak.com/course/content/108689. ACPE accredited 2 hour CE. Power-Pak C.E.; October 20, 2012: 1-26.
- Welch AC , Olenak JL, Culhane N. Incorporating an Immunization Certificate Program into the Pharmacy Curriculum. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2009 January;73(1) Article 7.
- Olenak JL, Calpin M. Establishing a Cardiovascular Health and Wellness Program in a Community Pharmacy: Screening for Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of American Pharmacists Association 2010 January-February;50(1): 32-36
- Olenak JL. Overcoming patient concerns about insulin therapy. America's Pharmacist. 2008 November;130(11): 23-27.
- Design Team Member for DM Educate
- Novo Nordisk Advisory Board
- Faculty Advisor for Operation Diabetes
- Reviewer for Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- Community Residency Director (2009-2013)
Selected Honors and Awards
- Immunization Champion: Professional Leadership and Advocacy Award,
- Pennsylvania Immunization Coalition
- Distinguished Young Pharmacist, Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
- Most Valuable Person for Patient Services, Lupus Foundation of Pennsylvania