Mission and Introduction
The Mission of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research
First, to protect the rights and welfare of human research subjects through project review.
Second, to foster compliance with institutional policy and federal regulations by facilitating institutional personnel’s efforts in utilizing living human subjects for research, education and other scholarly pursuits that are systematically designed and endeavoring to contribute to knowledge in the respective field.
Third, to provide education to institutional personnel on the ethical use of human subjects.
Helping researchers and instructors to be stewards of the trust of our human subjects is of paramount concern.
- Human Subjects Research Training: While the Wilkes University IRB finalizes a permanent replacement to the recently
discontinued NIH Protecting Human Research Participants training program, we will
temporarily accept any of the following as satisfying the human subjects research
training requirement that is necessary to complete before submitting an application.
- We will accept NIH PRHP certificates that have been issued in the last five years (instead of the previous requirement that certificates be issued within the past three years),
- We will accept the new PHRP training certificate, which requires a $39.99 fee for each certificate, and
- We will accept the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training certificate endorsed by NIH’s Office of Behavioral and Social Science Research, which is free to complete.
- IRB Policies, Regulations, and Rules: This document provides an introduction to help you navigate the IRB review process. Read this before you create an IRB submission.
- Wilkes University IRB Application: This online application is required for an IRB submission.
Meetings and Deadlines
The IRB meets on a monthly basis. The deadline for receipt of IRB submissions is two week prior to the meeting.
Meetings for the Academic Year 2018-2019:
- Sept. 18
- Oct. 16
- Nov. 20
- Dec. 18
- Jan. 22
- Feb. 19
- Mar. 19
- Apr. 16
- May 21
Dr. Jin Joy Mao
Phone: (570) 408-7387
Dr. Christopher Zarpentine
Phone: (570) 408-4597
IRB University Official:
Dr. Anne A. Skleder
Senior Vice President/Provost
Phone: (570) 408-4000
- Dr. Carole Emilie Baddour
- Dr. Sofya Chepushtanova
- Dr. Kalen Churcher
- Dr. Kurt Eisele
- Dr. Caroline Fortunato
- Dr. Ryan Henry
- Dr. Kathleen Hirthler
- Dr. Ka Lok Hong
- Dr. HyeRyeon Lee
- Dr. Karim Letwinsky
- Dr. Blake Mackesy
- Dr. Mary Jane Miskovsky
- Dr. Ellen Newell
- Dr. Dominick Trombetta
- Rev. Bob Zanicky
Contact Wilkes IRB at email@example.com
Meetings and Deadlines:
Committee meetings are held monthly. When needed, one summer meeting maybe scheduled. Protocols must be submitted two weeks prior to a meeting date to be considered for review.
Mailing Address: Provost Office, Wilkes University, 84 W. South St. Wilkes Barre, PA 18766.