The Wilkes University / Weis Markets 12-month post-graduate year one (PGY-1) Community Pharmacy Residency Program is a comprehensive experience for Doctor of Pharmacy graduates to develop and implement patient care programs in a community pharmacy setting.
The residency aims to provide an optimal environment for the individual to grow both professionally and personally, and provides an environment rich with resources, role models, encouragement and guidance.
Residency Program Director
Weis Markets is a regional supermarket chain with 144 pharmacies in PA, MD, NY, NJ, WV, VA and DE. The Schnecksville pharmacy location is committed to the provision of patient care and advancing the pharmacy profession. With two private consultation rooms, they offer MTM services, point-of-care testing, diabetes education (including AADE accredited DSMES program and a CDC pending recognition DPP classes), and immunizations. In addition, they belong to the Pennsylvania Pharmacists’ Care Network and are part of the Flip the Pharmacy national initiative.
Schnecksville, PA 18078
Founded in 1933, Wilkes University is a private, independent institution located in historic Wilkes-Barre, PA, on the edge of the Pocono Mountains. It offers 46 majors, including master's and doctoral programs.
The Wilkes University/Weis Pharmacy PGY1 Community Residency Program is a 12-month training program that will develop the resident into an innovative community pharmacist practitioner with diverse experiences in patient care and leadership. The resident will have the opportunity to work in an interprofessional, collaborative environment in experiences in community pharmacies, outreach clinics, underserved practices and with our Pennsylvania Pharmacist Care Network. The resident will develop the skills, confidence and experience to catalyze change and advance patient care services in community pharmacy practice.
As a fully integrated member of the team at the residency site, you will:
- learn first-hand what works and what areas could be improved upon in a community pharmacy;
- partner with experienced practitioners to initiate new programs and expand and enhance existing services; and
- provide fresh perspectives and insights for the site staff.
|Required Learning Experience||Percent of Time|
Direct Patient Care
|Develop new or evaluate existing patient care services||10%|
|Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the medication use system||5%|
Community and Professional Leadership
Research and Contribution to the Literature
Teaching and Training
The Wilkes University School of Pharmacy is pleased to offer programming for pharmacy preceptors and residents which is designed to develop and expand their clinical precepting skills. Previously called the “Pharmacy Resident Teaching and Learning Program,” the new Pharmacy Precepting and Learning Program is geared toward both pharmacists and pharmacy residents who have preceptor roles as part of their professional responsibilities. Continuing education programming will be a mix of lecture and hands‐on preceptor tool development.
Programming will be offered each month during the academic year, with sessions on topics such as:
- Rotation Planning
- Authentic assessment
- Facilitating small group discussions
- Conference & presentation skills
- Layered and near‐peer learning
- Formative, summative, & effective feedback
- Communication Strategies
- Information Mastery
- 12 month, full-time PGY1 Community Residency Program
- Estimated stipend: $50,000
- Start Date: July 1, 2020
- Fringe benefits: health and dental insurance, travel stipend, University paid holidays, and paid time off (vacation) days annually
- Candidates for this residency must meet the following requirements:
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree
- All residents must be eligible for pharmacist licensure in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Participate in the National Matching Service (NMS)
- Submit the standard application requirements via PhORCAS by January 6, 2020
- Letter of intent, CV, transcripts, and 3 letters of recommendation are required to be submitted through PhORCAS
- On-site interview is required
ASHP Website Directory: ASHP Website Directory
Wilkes University/Weis Markets NMS Code: 278715
Nicole C Pezzino, PharmD, BCACP, CDE
Director, Community Outreach & Innovation
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Wilkes University, School of Pharmacy
84 W South Street | Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766
Office: Stark Learning Center 324
P: (570) 408-4260 | F: (570) 408-7729
|Stephanie Doyle, PharmD
Residency Program Site Coordinator and Weis Pharmacy Manager
Megan Graver, PharmD
Kimmy Nguyen, PharmD, BCACP; Residency Program Preceptor (Volunteers in Medicine) and Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Rick Seipp, PharmD
|Judith DeLuca, PharmD
Residency Precepting and Learning Program Director