Marketing is more than just a fancy logo and flashy commercial. It’s a process—an ever-changing landscape that requires skill, business savvy and creativity to navigate.
The marketing program at the Jay S. Sidhu School of Business and Leadership provides you with a cover-to-cover understanding of this very process. Here you’ll learn to increase a company’s bottom line, identify target markets and discover firsthand the most effective communication tactics.
This begins in your freshman year, when you work with a team of your peers to conceptualize, design, promote and operate your own business. Your understanding then builds during the following three years and finishes with the completion of a senior experiential course.
Sidhu School students gain an understanding of the processes that create, communicate and deliver value to customers and benefit the organization and its stakeholders. The marketing process begins with identifying consumer needs and designing products or services that satisfy these customers needs profitably. It continues with pricing, promotion, distribution and packaging.
The Sidhu School faculty incorporates the marketing philosophy in every course, encouraging customer orientation and long-term perspective. The marketing faculty in the Sidhu School uses an action-based approach to teaching in which conceptual learning is supported by real-world marketing projects. Consistent with the Sidhu Brand, the marketing area integrates mentoring, innovation, and entrepreneurial processes.
The diversity of marketing opportunities is reflected in the variety of careers, ranging from promotion to marketing research to public relations to product management. Many students continue their studies at the graduate level in business, law and other fields. Interest in marketing is growing in many nontraditional organizations, such as hospitals, financial institutions, the performing arts and government.
Our graduates have found career success in a variety of areas, including tech start-ups, sales organizations, financial institutions, promotions, sports organizations, retailing, government, health organizations, the military and law enforcement.
Recent graduates have taken positions with:
- Advantage Solutions
- Clear Channel Airport
- Kapp Advertising Service, Inc.
- Kemper Services Group
- Pride Mobility Products Corporation
- Florida Office Interiors
- Helcrist LLC
- Hudson Bay Company
- Pella Windows And Doors
- Skovish Brothers Pool
- UniFirst Corporation
The Marketing program fully supports the undergraduate learning objectives of the School:
- Students will be able to comprehend issues in ethical decision making and social responsibility;
- Marketing graduates will know the main concepts of marketing and the important role that Marketing plays in business and society;
- Marketing graduates will know the importance of the marketing mix, market segmentation, and target marketing for a company;
- Marketing graduates will know the basic and advanced selling techniques in offline and digital domains;
- Marketing graduates will conduct market research, explore advertising strategies, apply digital business models, and consult with an actual client organization to create a customized, comprehensive marketing plan;
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of how global trends and competition affect businesses and their strategies;
- Marketing graduates will demonstrate a global cross-cultural understanding, and aim to become global citizens.
The Sidhu School of Business and Leadership Bachelor of Business Administration degree in marketing requires you to complete 122 credits and includes these courses:
- MKT 322 - Advertising
- MKT 324 - Retailing
- MKT 326 - The Selling Process
- MKT 328 - Consumer Behavior
Recent students have interned with:
- Coal Creative
- Stifel Financial
- Osterhaut Library
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- M. Abraham Flooring
The Sidhu School of Business and Leadership is housed in the beautiful 80,000-square-foot University Center on Main. The $3 million state-of-the-art facility includes a financial market trading room with an electronic stock ticker, seven smart classrooms, faculty offices, meeting rooms for students, and student club spaces that allow for collaboration on projects. To top it off, there's even a Starbucks in the lobby.
The Wilkes Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. This distinction shows potential employers, doctoral programs, and professional schools the comprehensiveness and excellence of Wilkes University's curriculum. The ACBSP accreditation creates a competitive advantage over others seeking a career in business or admission into a doctoral program.
The Jay S. Sidhu School of Business and Leadership is also a member of the Association of Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.