Information for Faculty
Wilkes University Career Services helps students to:
- Clarify goals in all stages of their career planning
- Enhance skills necessary for employment/graduate school searches
- Build a network of career building resources and contacts
A “placement office,” “placing” students in jobs, is an antiquated notion of a bygone era. In a highly competitive employment environment, more than ever, all students need career “know-how” to reach their professional goals. We hope to collaborate with you to assure your students’ success.
Partnerships with Faculty are critical to the success of Career Services’ endeavors; we couldn’t do what we do without you! Encouraging your students to visit with us individually and to participate in our career development courses, special events, mentoring activities, workshops, and class visits, helps us to infuse career education into the Wilkes academic experience
SERVICES OFFERED TO STUDENTS:
- Career Counseling and Coaching: Goal planning, Interest Inventories, Major
- Career Development Courses (1 free elective credit): CAR 101, via University College for Undeclared Students; CAR 198, Career Planning for Juniors and Seniors
- Employer Relations Events: Special Career Days including Job Fairs and Major Specific Workshops
- Alumni Network Connections: Career building assistance from Wilkes Alumni Relations contacts
- Job Search Support: Resume and cover letter writing, interviewing skills, connections to recruiters and and on-campus interviews, full and part-time job postings on www.collegecentral.com/wilkesu
- Graduate/Professional School Application Assistance: In addition to students working with faculty on school selection and the application process, we offer Peterson’s Guides for information on graduate schools, and provide feedback on CVs, personal statements and mock interview responses.
Some Examples of Faculty & Career Services Collaborations
- DON’T CANCEL CLASS!: Have a Career Services staff member present to the class on a topic of your choice related to career development, or call us to discuss ideas of successful presentations.
- SPECIALIZED EMPLOYER RECRUITMENT DAYS: Social Service Fair, Tech Recruitment, Business Career Day, are some examples.
- MOCK INTERVIEW PROGRAM: Presentations on behavioral interviewing for specific majors and mock interview sessions for students at Career Services.
- NPEConsortium EMPLOYMENT FAIR : Faculty encourage students to attend a six school collaborative professional employment fair.
- CAR 198 CLASS: Faculty register their advisees for this one credit elective, focusing on career goals, alumni mentors, networking opportunities, resumes, cover letters, graduate school, interviewing & professional etiquette. Some departments offer this class as a major elective, as well.
- INTERVIEWSTREAM PROGRAM: We work with your class to offer feedback on their videotaped interview responses, to which you have access 24/7, via www.wilkesuniversity.interviewstream.com.