Sustainable practices and social responsibility are growing priorities for businesses nationwide. Position yourself for professional growth with Wilkes University’s 12-credit Sustainability Management Certificate program.
Wilkes is a proud education partner of the International Society of Sustainability Professionals. This designation means that we're a recognized leader in delivering sustainability-related educational opportunities to current and aspiring sustainability professionals. Students who complete our program will be prepared to sit for ISSP exams.
What is Sustainability?
Sustainability is the smart management of natural resources that results in both efficiency
and profitability. More and more organizations are striving to be environmentally
conscious and socially responsible. Lead the movement in your industry with this accelerated,
Who can benefit from this certificate program?
Sustainability is becoming commonplace in organizations large and small. Advancing your knowledge in sustainability practices will benefit you and your employer, resulting in operational efficiencies and a socially conscious reputation. Sustainability management is a company-wide philosophy and involves many different departments. This program is relevant for those in communications, engineering, finance, facilities, fleets, healthcare, human resources, legal, operations and real estate. In addition, the program is designed for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education credit.
If your organization is forming a "Green Team," the skills you learn in this program will make you an invaluable member of the team. Be prepared to successfully contribute to the planning, doing, checking and acting components of your sustainability program.
What will students take away from this program?
Upon successful completion of the Sustainability Management certificate program, students
- Be familiar with the terminology and implementation strategies for sustainability management
- Learn about "sustainability champions" in your field
- Who are they and what lessons have they learned that can help you?
- Learn about the latest sustainability management tools
- how to assess your organization's current status and target areas for improvement
- how to set goals, measure, and track progress
- how to conduct waste audits, a carbon footprint analysis, and energy assessments
- Learn how to communicate and disseminate information, both internally and externally, about your organization's sustainability programs
- Create implementation-ready initiatives and programs in your discipline
The program is held completely online. It consists of four 3-credit courses held in 12-week sessions that prepare students in sustainability standards and management practices. Students can complete the program in 16 months, while taking one course at a time.
Continuing Education Credit
Participants who complete each course will receive a certificate for 135 PDH units, or Professional Development Hours.
- Application for admission
- $35 non-refundable application fee
- official transcripts of all college work, undergraduate and graduate
For more information, contact:
Associate Director, Graduate Admissions
(570) 408-3338 or (800) WILKES-U Ext. 3338
Dr. Marleen Troy
(570) 408-4615 or (800) WILKES-U Ext. 4615
Director, Center for Continued Learning