A different kind of classroom
The mission of the Sordoni Art Gallery is to encourage an appreciation of the arts and an understanding of its role in society through direct engagement with art. Our main focus is to present high-quality exhibitions, related programming, and publications in a wide range of media, topics, cultures, and time periods.
The vision of the Sordoni Art Gallery is to be a recognized and respected center for the creation
of innovative learning environments and programs for the appreciation and study of
visual art benefiting the academic and cultural community of Wilkes University and
the surrounding Region.
To achieve this vision the Sordoni Art Gallery is committed to being a place:
- Where education and exhibition are central to the Gallery's public service mission
- Where an ambitious year-round exhibition schedule features artists of regional, national, and international reputation
- Where multiple and diverse audiences are comfortable and welcome
- And that collaborates, supports, and serves arts and cultural initiatives in the region
Part of Wilkes University campus, the gallery looks to engage in cross- and inter-disciplinary dialogue to support academic programming across the entire university. Because its role on campus is widely defined, the gallery has a great deal of flexibility to present diverse, varied and exciting programming. The Sordoni Gallery facility has the ability to be a traditional viewing space or a venue for experimental installations.
As an educational institution, the Sordoni Gallery is in the unique position to explore challenging subjects and current events that would not be explored in commercial spaces. The criteria for selecting exhibitions include artistic excellence; the potential for related programming that, first and foremost, supports student-centered, campus-wide academic engagement; attention to aesthetic and cultural diversity within the campus and community; and provide a reflection of the NEPA region.
Please click here to read the news release outlining Wilkes University's three-part plan for revitalizing the Sordoni Art Gallery and the process used to arrive at the plan.
- Tuesday through Friday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.