The mission of the Intensive English Program (IEP) at Wilkes University is to provide quality academic instruction in English as a second language (ESL) to both international and English-language learning students planning to pursue university studies in the United States. To this end, the IEP provides a curriculum, certified faculty, classroom materials, and teaching methods that are well grounded in both theory and practice and based on the latest research findings in the field of second language learning and teaching. This fully accredited program provides
- quality academic English language instruction for students whose native language is not English;
- preparation for further academic study in the U.S.;
- learner-centered instruction;
- advising for successful attainment of academic or professional goals;
- opportunities for intercultural experiences and cooperation;
- services relating to admission, counseling, academic life, and the general success of international students attending Wilkes University;
- English language instruction for personal growth; and
- instruction in accordance with Wilkes University’s Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) program.
All policies and governances found within this bulletin apply to all students participating in the IEP at Wilkes University.