Wilkes University

Admission of Transfer Students

Wilkes University welcomes transfer students from other accredited colleges and universities for both the fall and spring semesters.

Transfer students must submit an application for admission and a transcript from every post-secondary institution attended (even if no credits were earned). An official final high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores may be required, and some transfer students may be asked to complete assessment tests prior to admission or registration for courses. Admission of transfer students is conducted on a "rolling" basis. In addition to an admissions decision, transfer students will receive a free transcript evaluation.

Applicants must be in good academic standing and must hold a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (C) at their current or most recently attended institution in order to be considered for admission to Wilkes University. All courses with a grade of 2.00 (C) or higher that are comparable to those in the curriculum at Wilkes and from recognized accredited institutions will be accepted for transfer.

Enrollment in the life science majors (Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Nursing, and Pharmacy) is limited, and admission to programs in these areas is competitive. Applicants into the life science majors must be in good academic standing and must hold a minimum cumulative college grade point average of 3.00 (B) from their attended institution(s) in order to be considered for admission to Wilkes University. Additional Nursing application documents and/or nursing entrance exams may be required prior to a decision and/or would be noted in the acceptance letter. Students transferring into the nursing program may register for courses only after consultation with the Chairperson of the Department of Nursing.

Applicants for the degree programs in Musical Theatre and Theatre must successfully complete an audition for the program and must complete an interview with the departmental faculty to gain admission into these programs.

Transfer students applying directly to the School of Pharmacy for entry into the professional school must additionally complete a School of Pharmacy application and forward three letters of recommendation to the School of Pharmacy Admissions Committee. The applicant must also sit for the PCAT examination and submit official scores from the examination. After the file is complete, the School of Pharmacy may schedule a personal interview, as the School deems appropriate. Students with questions applying directly into the Pharmacy Professional Program can contact: Karen Atiyeh; 570-408-4298 or karen.atiyeh@wilkes.edu

In all cases, invitations to interview or audition for these identified degree programs are extended by the academic departments at their discretion. All departments reserve the right to interview applicants or request additional documentation.

University policy prohibits the Office of Admissions from knowingly admitting any student who has been dismissed from any other college or university for any reason until a period of one year has elapsed from the time of dismissal. Students who have been placed on probation by another college or university will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Degree Completion and Graduation Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer students from two-year institutions must complete a minimum of 60 credits at an accredited degree granting institution.

To graduate, all transfer students must complete a minimum of 30 credits (exclusive of advanced placement credit awarded by Wilkes) and a minimum of 50% of their major field (and any minor field) credits at Wilkes University.

Additionally, all transfer students must satisfy the University’s General Education Requirements. (See the bulletin section entitled "General Education: The First Curricular Component" for an explanation of these requirements and associated student learning outcomes.). The University makes every effort to recognize course work and apply credits that are transferred into the University from an accredited institution in satisfaction of the General Education Requirements or to make other accommodations to ease the transition from one institution to another. For example, students who transfer certain science courses or sequence of science courses to Wilkes may, with the approval of the appropriate Dean, be permitted to apply these courses or course sequences to the requirements for Area II (The Scientific World) of the General Education Curriculum. Approval of the application of credits for courses or sequences of courses to satisfy specific requirements in the General Education Curriculum is not automatic and is dependent upon a complete review and analysis of submitted transcripts (and other pertinent documentation, as requested). Transfer students and potential transfer students are, therefore, encouraged to consult with the Office of Admissions on these matters.

Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from Wilkes University or another regionally accredited institution and who seek a second baccalaureate degree will be considered exempt from the Wilkes General Education Curriculum for the purposes of seeking a second bachelor’s degree.

Transfer students should consult the "Graduation Requirements" section of this bulletin for an explanation of institution-wide requirements for graduation.

Prior Learning Assessment for Transfer and Adult Degree Completion Students

A special office, the Office of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), has been created to help students in their transition into the Wilkes University academic community and in the evaluation of their prior learning in the award of academic credit for demonstrated competency. The Office of Prior Learning Assessment works in collaboration with the Office of Admissions and with academic departments to inform and advise entering students about opportunities by which academic credit might be awarded for learning that takes place outside of the "traditional" college classroom (e.g., CLEP, DSST, and Excelsior exams, departmental challenge exams, and experiential learning portfolio) and to familiarize students and their advisors with the policies and procedures associated with the award of credit for demonstrated learning and Prior Learning Assessment at Wilkes. The Office of Prior Learning Assessment is housed in University College, Conyngham Hall.

An important note for all students regarding the transfer of credits to Wilkes University:

While course credits may be transferred to the University from another accredited institution in fulfillment of Wilkes University graduation requirements, grades earned in those courses accepted for transfer are not included in the computation of the cumulative grade point average earned at Wilkes University.