Wilkes University Accounting Students to Offer Free Income Tax Assistance
Accounting students at Wilkes University’s Jay S. Sidhu School of Business and Leadership
will offer free tax assistance to the public through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The service will be offered Jan. 31 and Feb. 7, 14, 21 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in room 134 on the first floor of the University Center on Main, 169 South Main Street, Wilkes-Barre. The building is on the corner of South Main Street and West South Street.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program offers free tax help to people with household income of less than $53,000 who file basic federal, state, and local tax returns. Anyone interested in the service should bring the following items to the VITA session:
- Photo Identification
- Valid Social Security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number
Both spouses must be present for taxpayers who are married and will be filing joint returns.
In the event of inclement weather, please call (570) 408 7669. A recorded message will inform you if Wilkes University is closed. Sessions will not be held when the University is closed.
For more information, please call Ann Marie Feldmeth at (570) 408-4710.