Sordoni Art Gallery Reopens with "Drawn to Abstraction"
The Sordoni Art Gallery reopens Tuesday, Aug. 25, with the exhibition, "Drawn to Abstraction:
Prints from the 1960s and 70s."
The exhibition, which was to have been on display during the spring 2020 semester, launches the gallery’s 2020-2021 year and continues through Sunday, Nov. 1.
This exhibition, from the collection of the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, features an extraordinary collection of works on paper by artists widely recognized as giants of 20th-century art, including Josef Albers, Helen Frankenthaler, Robert Rauschenberg, Roy Lichtenstein, Claes Oldenburg, Frank Stella and more. Admission is free.
The mid- to late-20th century in America was a time of boundary testing and social critique. Artists, too, challenged accepted techniques and subject matter while critically examining the role of art in society. The works in the exhibition capture the vibrancy of the emerging abstract movements during this time, including abstract expressionism, minimalism, op art, and pop art.
A special online event celebrating the exhibition will be held at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10. It will feature Rehema Barber, chief curator at Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, who will discuss the exhibition and other treasures in the institute’s collection.
The event will take place on Zoom and pre-registration is required. To register, email Karley Stasko, outreach coordinator, at email@example.com by Sept. 7 to secure your place. Register for the Sordoni Art Gallery’s email list to learn about other online events throughout the exhibition.
Tours are available for groups under 25. Pre-registration is required for ALL GROUPS. We must have 24-hours’ notice. Please contact Karley Stasko (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
New Hours at SAG!
Gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m.to 5 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Please note the gallery’s new Thursday hours. It is no longer open until 7 p.m. on Thursdays. The gallery is closed Mondays and University holidays. The gallery can be reached at 570-408-4325
The Sordoni Art Gallery is following all COVID-19 procedures set by Wilkes University.
- Masks, covering nose and mouth, need to be worn at all times when on campus and in the gallery.
- Masks cannot be provided by gallery staff and visitors should plan to arrive with their own mask.
- Social distancing of at least six feet between other gallery visitors should be followed.
- Hand sanitizer stations have been installed.
- Wilkes University is conducting extensive daily cleaning that complies with CDC guidelines.
- Please note: Wilkes University follows all parameters set by the State Health Department and is monitoring the situation closely. Be sure to note if the university's status has changed in compliance with current state health regulations.