Dr. Julie Lynn Olenak
- Stark Learning Center
- (570) 408-4288
Dr. Olenak currently serves as the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs. In addition, she has served as a Community Practice Faculty member at Wilkes University since 2004. She is affiliated with the Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy in Dallas, PA and practices as a clinical pharmacist at that site. Dr. Olenak provides patient-care programs such as diabetes education, a hypertension clinic, smoking cessation, immunization clinics, and wellness screenings. Her clinical scholarship interests include: immunizations, use of over the counter medications and community based health programs (with a focus on diabetes and cardiovascular programs). Dr. Olenak also performs research in the area of student affairs. She serves as a national faculty trainer for the APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Certification program.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Wilkes University
Pharmacy Practice Residency with Emphasis in Community Practice, Duquesne University and Hometown Pharmacy
Certificates and Certifications
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery
- Diabetes Care
- Smoking Cessation
- Self-Care and Dermatology
- Comprehensive Diabetes Management
- Principles of Advanced Community Pharmacy Management
- Immunizations/ OSHA
Olenak, J. L. (2015). Musculoskeletal injuries and disorders. Handbook of nonprescription drugs. D. L. Krinsky, S. P. Ferreri, B. A. Henstreetet al. Washington, DC, American Pharmacists Association: 97-112.
Olenak JL., Ference J. Chapter 46: Connective Tissue Disorders. In: Koda-Kimble, et al. Applied Therapeutics. 10th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013: 1054-1065.
Olenak JL.,Russell TM. Introduction to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) for the Practicing Pharmacist. http://www.powerpak.com/course/content/108689. ACPE accredited 2 hour CE. Power-Pak C.E.; October 20, 2012: 1-26.
Welch AC , Olenak JL, Culhane N. Incorporating an Immunization Certificate Program into the Pharmacy Curriculum. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2009 January;73(1) Article 7.
Olenak JL, Calpin M. Establishing a Cardiovascular Health and Wellness Program in a Community Pharmacy: Screening for Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of American Pharmacists Association 2010 January-February;50(1): 32-36
Olenak JL. Overcoming patient concerns about insulin therapy. America's Pharmacist. 2008 November;130(11): 23-27.
Olenak, J. L. and J. M. Malinowski (2015). Pharmacy-based immunication delivery training program. Pharmacists for continuing education credit and certification. Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Impact of Novel Approaches to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Evolution of Treatment and Management Strategies to Optimize Patient’s Care. Olenak JL, Wallace DJ. Presented at Specialty Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV. May 6, 2014.
Olenak, J. L. and A. C. Welch (2014). Pharmacy-based immunication delivery training program. American Pharmacists Association National Immunization Program. Pittsburgh, PA.
Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Regulations: Is Your Pharmacy in Compliance?” Olenak JL. Presented at Annual Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Meeting. Bedford, PA. January 25, 2014.
- Design Team Member for DM Educate
- Novo Nordisk Advisory Board Insulin Degludec
- Faculty Advisor for Operation Diabetes
- Reviewer for Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- Community Residency Director (2009-2013)
Selected Honors and Awards
- Immunization Champion: Professional Leadership and Advocacy Award,
- Pennsylvania Immunization Coalition
- Distinguished Young Pharmacist, Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
- Most Valuable Person for Patient Services, Lupus Foundation of Pennsylvania
- P2 Teacher of the year (2007, 2009, 2014, 2015)
- Overall School of Pharmacy Teacher of the year (2015)