Office: Stark Learning Center
Dr. Scott Bolesta
After working as a critical care clinical pharmacist for several years, Dr. Bolesta returned to his alma mater in 2005 to join the faculty in the Department of Pharmacy Practice. His current clinical practice is in internal medicine at Regional Hospital of Scranton, where he provides care to patients in collaboration with providers from the Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education. Dr. Bolesta also conducts clinical research at his site with a focus on post-operative atrial fibrillation and acute kidney injury in cardiac surgery patients. He also has an interest in interprofessional education and the use of simulation in student learning.
Dr. Bolesta's faculty website: http://web.wilkes.edu/scott.bolesta/
Education and Training
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Pharmacy Practice Residency, University of Arizona Medical Center, Tucson, AZ
- Critical Care Residency, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, KY
Certificates and Certifications
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
- Adult Internal Medicine Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience
- Clinical Research Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience
- Pharmacotherapeutics of Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Pharmacotherapeutics of Renal Disorders
- Introduction to Hospital Pharmacy Practice
- Cooper BE, Bolesta S. Implementation of medication safety measures. In: Papadopoulos J, Cooper BE, Kane-Gill SL, et al, eds. Drug Induced Complications in the Critically Ill Patient: A Guide for Recognition and Treatment. Mount Prospect, IL: Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2012. 439-48.
- Bolesta S, Aungst TD, Kong F. Effect of sodium nitroprusside on the occurrence of atrial fibrillation after cardiothoracic surgery. Ann Pharmacother. 2012;46:785-92.
- Boruah PK, Bolesta S, Shetty SM. Possible lenalidomide-induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome during treatment for multiple myeloma. Pharmacotherapy. 2011;31(9):925.
- Dager W, Bolesta S, Brophy G, Dell K, Gerlach A, Kristeller J, et al. An opinion paper outlining recommendations for training, credentialing, and documenting and justifying critical care pharmacy services. Pharmacotherapy. 2011;31(8):829.
- Bolesta S. Acute kidney injury. In: Schwinghammer TL, Koehler JM, eds. Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A Patient-Focused Approach. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2011. 151-3.
- Bolesta S, Montgomery PA. Pancreatitis. In: DiPiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, et al, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2011. 669-84.
- Bolesta S, Trombetta DP, Longyhore DS. Pharmacist instruction of physical assessment for pharmacy students. Am J Pharm Educ. 2011 Mar 10;75(2):Article 29. Available at: http://www.ajpe.org/view.asp?art=aj750229&pdf=yes
- Bolesta S, Uhrin LM, Guzek JR. Preoperative statins and acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: utilization of a consensus definition of acute kidney injury. Ann Pharmacother. 2011 Jan;45(1):23-30.
- Bolesta S, Roslund BP. Elevated hepatic transaminases associated with telithromycin therapy: a case report and literature review. AJHP. 2008;65:37-41.
- Bolesta S, Bendayan R. Acute kidney injury. In: Schwinghammer TL, Koehler JM, eds. Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A Patient-Focused Approach. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2008. 133-35.
- Bolesta S, Foote EF. Contrast-induced nephropathy. In: Dunsworth T, Richardson M, Cheng J, et al, eds. Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program, 6 th ed. Nephrology. Lenexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2007:73-90.
- Bolesta S, Erstad BL. Use of metoclopramide in ileus: a look at duration of therapy. Hosp Pharm. 2002;37:949-52.
- Bolesta S, Haber SL. Hepatotoxicity associated with chronic acetaminophen administration in patients without risk factors. Ann Pharmacother. 2002;36:331-3.
- Malinowski JM, Bolesta S. Rosiglitazone in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a critical review. Clin Ther. 2000;22:1151-68.
- Member at Large, Society of Critical Care Medicine, Research Section, 2013 – 2016
- Co-Chair, Society of Critical Care Medicine, Drug Shortages Task Force, 2012 – 2016
- Chair, Communications Committee, Critical Care Practice and Research Network, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2011 – 2012
- Chair, Communications Committee, Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology Section, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2009
- Reviewer: American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, Annals of Pharmacotherapy, American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy
- Member: American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Society of Critical Care Medicine, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, The Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education Institutional Review Board, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Northeastern Pennsylvania Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
Selected Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Critical Care Medicine
- Society of Critical Care Medicine Presidential Citation: 2009, 2012, 2013
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy Volunteer Recognition: 2011, 2013