Wilkes University

International Travel

Wilkes University recognizes that international study and work experiences are integral to students, faculty, residents and staff. 

The safety and well-being of  University employees and students who travel outside the United States for University-related activities is of paramount importance. Such travel can pose certain unique and increased risks to participants and to the university.

To best meet the medical needs of those who travel abroad, Wilkes University maintains a comprehensive out-of-country medical and travel assistance program. The information on this page applies to university-sponsored international travel. Examples include study abroad programs, faculty-led study tours, faculty research, attendance at conferences and other meetings, recruiting, semester at sea, independent study and internships.

The insurance package provides coverage and services to: the University's Students when participating in University-sponsored and approved international study abroad programs; as well as to University Trustees, Faculty, Staff, Guests, and Volunteers while on approved international travel for University business.

The University's international travel coverage is intended to provide the first line of service and protection to the University's travelers. Prior to traveling, international travelers should still contact their personal health insurance company to make certain they understand what additional coverage they may have in place, or may want to put in place while traveling abroad. Any additional coverage purchased would be at the traveler's own expense.

Access to ID cards and the most current emergency numbers can be found by clicking HERE.

PERSONAL TRAVEL:  Faculty & Staff traveling for pleasure may purchase similar travel insurance by clicking HERE.

In the event of a medical emergency, natural disaster or political unrest that necessitates an evacuation from an international location, travelers should contact the travel assistance vendor identified on the insurance ID card provided before travel. It is always a good idea to program those emergency numbers into your international cell phone. Access to ID cards and the most current emergency numbers can be found by clicking HERE.

For a complete list of services, click HERE.

Emergency Medical Services include:

  • Medical Monitoring
  • Medical Referrals
  • Emergency Medical Payments, Medical Expense Guarantee, Hospital Admission Guarantee
  • Emergency Medical Transport, Medical Evacuation or Repatriation
  • Dispatch of a Doctor or Specialist
  • Repatriation of Remains
  • Family Reunion Travel Arrangements
  • Escort Transportation
  • Return of Dependent Children
  • Return of a Traveling Companion
  • Visit of a Family Member or Friend
  • Replacement of Medication or Eyeglasses

Security Evacuation Services include:

  • Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation
  • Consultation Services / Crisis Hotline

Emergency Travel Services include:

  • Emergency Message Relay
  • Emergency Travel Arrangements
  • Emergency Cash
  • Legal Assistance/Bail
  • Location of Lost Items
  • Interpretation/Translation
If travelers find it necessary to rent vehicles from an agency in a foreign country for approved University functions or business on a short-term basis, the vehicle should be rented in the name of the University. Because of the difference in insurance requirements in other countries, departments should always purchase all available insurance provided by the rental agency.

All students participating in a sponsored activity (as individuals or in groups) must execute an off-campus travel waiver form with Wilkes University acknowledging that they understand the risks of travel, affirming that they have reviewed and understand relevant safety-related materials, and acknowledging that they assume the risks related to their international travel. Forms must be signed and submitted to the travel coordinator at least two weeks prior to departure.