The MS in Educational Leadership (EDLS) is available online.
The program consists of 27 credits to become eligible for the PA K-12 Principal Certification with nine additional credits to attain the Master of Science in Educational Leadership (see Program Checklist).
“At Wilkes, I feel like a student and not a number, Even though I’m doing the majority of my classes online, I still feel like I’m part of the family.”
Kyle Linko, Welding Technology Instructor
The Career Technology Center of Lackawanna County
Students who would like to apply to the program must submit their application and all required admission materials prior to the deadline (Spring- Dec. 15; Summer- April 15; Fall- August 15). Applications are then reviewed for conditional admission to the program. For regular acceptance to the program, students must successfully complete the entry course, ED 517 The Principal as Educational Leader.
About the Program:
The EDLS Online Program allows students to pursue the MS in Educational Leadership degree in a convenient web-based format, augmented by field experiences in the participants' school districts under the supervision of the course instructor and mentoring principal. The EDLS Online Program is approved by the PA Department of Education and is designed to meet PA Department of Education competencies for K-12 principals.
Online Orientation Session:
The EDLS Online Program begins with a half day intense online preparation for school leadership. During the online orientation, students will be familiarized with the program requirements and be given an overview of the courses, field work, and related academic requirements that form the base of the EDLS experience. The orientation also gives students a chance to form connections with cohort members in the EDLS Online Program.
Following the online orientation, students will finish their work in ED 517 The Principal as Educational Leader during the summer term. These and all subsequent courses will be conducted online
at Wilkes LIVE through the Desire to Learn (D2L) course management system. Most EDLS
online courses include a 30-hour field experience and field based project to help
students develop their professional competencies as school leaders through application
in their school districts.
Students should follow the course sequence listed below to complete all necessary requirements.
- Review the Educational Leadership checklist for students admitted as of summer 2014 forward. The checklist for students who were admitted previously is at Pre-Summer 2014 checklist.
- Review the Principal Program Student Handbook
Certification and Program Completion:
Consistent participation in the cohort will enable students to become eligible for PA K-12 principal certification and to attain the Master of Science in Educational Leadership degree, which consists of 36 credits.
Candidates will be recommended to the PDE for K-12 principal certification upon the completion of the 27-credit certification program as listed below:
- Successful completion of the EDLS Online Program of study, which includes fulfilling the required 360 hours of supervised field and intern experiences in K-12 schools as embedded in the program of study
- A passing score on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment for principal certification (Praxis 6990- Passing Score is 151)
- Three years of professional school experience at the time of application for certification
- Submission of completed TIMS online application for certification
To apply for the program:
1. Submit a new application for admission to the EDLS program at Wilkes using the
2. Provide the additional documentation required for this program prior to deadline.
After receiving conditional admission status, students are registered for the online orientation session and the first course, ED 517. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the program after all admissions materials are received and reviewed via email.
Qualifications for Admission include:
- All students must attend a mandatory online orientation session before starting the ED 517 course.
- Applicant files will be reviewed and students notified of conditional admission status prior to the start of class. Students not meeting minimum requirements will be notified.
- Required Items (All items must be submitted by the due date.)
- Graduate Application (Submit Online)
- Two Recommendation Letters: one Professional and one Leadership
- Official Transcripts
- Copy of Teaching Certificate
- One page essay on your Educational Philosophy
- One page essay on "How Principals Shape Learning in Their Schools"
*Required items must be submitted per emailed instructions once application is received.