Instructional coaches bring evidence-based practices into the classroom or online learning environment by working with teachers and other school leaders.
The program is designed in response to current research showing the positive impact of instructional coaching practices on educational environments. Effective instructional coaching can improve teachers’ effectiveness and job satisfaction, as well as student academic and social success.
Coaching is fiscally responsible because it is personalized to meet the needs of faculty on an ongoing basis. Coaching can also foster ideal environments for positive school reform by encouraging collaborative rather than supervisory support to teachers. By creating a culture of mentorship, responsive and data-driven pedagogy, and continuous improvement in the classroom, instructional coaches play an important role in the future of education.
Be a part of this change by enrolling in the Instructional Coaching endorsement program from Wilkes University and PLS 3rd Learning.
Learn how to:
- Strengthen the culture of teaching and learning in your school or district
- Use data-driven instruction to guide teaching and learning outcomes
- Transfer knowledge to encourage standards-based reform
- Support other educators with practical strategies for classroom management, content enhancement, instruction, and assessment
- Craft collaborative action plans for improving teacher practice while enhancing expertise and performance
- Develop an organizational structure for curricular change and an organizational vision around personalized student success
Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, this 12-credit program gives you the skills to become an instructional coach in your school or district. Upon successful completion, Pennsylvania educators can apply to add the Instructional Coaching endorsement to their teaching certificate.
Convenient Online Learning
The 12-credit, four-course program is offered in a convenient online format with 30 hours of field experience completed where you reside.
- ED 5406 Instructional Coaching™
- ED 5407 Professional Learning for Teacher Effectiveness™
- ED 520 Using Assessment to Guide Instruction
- ED 523 Administrative Leadership in Curriculum and Instruction
Current students can keep track of program requirements with the program checklist.
- Online application
- Official transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- A copy of Pennsylvania Level I or II teaching certificate
Why Instructional Coaching?
Watch and learn about instructional coaching with master educational consultant Steve Barkley.
For the past 40 years, Steve has served as an educational consultant to school districts, teacher organizations, state departments of education, and colleges and universities nationally and internationally, facilitating the changes necessary for them to reach students and successfully prepare them for the 21st century. A prolific published author, his weekly blog, Steve Barkley Ponders Out Loud, has evolved into a go-to resource for teachers and administrators all over the world.
Educational Development and Strategies M.S.
Courses in the Instructional Coaching endorsement can be applied to the online master’s degree in Educational Development and Strategies. In this 30-credit degree, proven classroom strategies are blended with educational theory and research to give practicing teachers like you the skills needed to improve student performance. Learn practical skills with immediate career application. This degree is a joint effort between Wilkes and PLS 3rd Education.
Current students in the Educational Development and Strategies M.S. with Instructional Coaching endorsement can keep track of program requirements using our program checklist.