The master’s degree in Middle Level Education (EDML) offers concentrations in Middle Level Mathematics, Science, English/Language Arts, and Social Studies.
The degree prepares teachers to better meet the needs of adolescent learners and prepares candidates to apply for Pennsylvania’s grades 4-8 certificate in a particular content area.
Two options are available for Pennsylvania teachers who hold Level I or Level II instructional certification:
- The 36-credit degree plus certification option culminates with a semester-long internship, and is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education as a certification preparation program.
- The 30-credit degree option meets the needs of teachers who wish to add the Grades 4-8 certification through PDE's "test only" option, or who do not wish to seek certification.
Prospective students must hold Level I or Level II instruction certification. The curriculum for the program includes:
- Adolescent development, cognition and learning;
- Subject matter pedagogy
- Assessment in the program of study
Students will select one of four concentrations at the time of application:
- Middle Level Mathematics
- Middle Level Science
- Middle Level Social Studies
- Middle Level English/Language Arts
Convenient online format
This program is conducted completely online. The 36-credit degree plus certification option culminates with an internship course, during which students will work under the mentorship of a middle-level educator in their area of specialization in a local school setting.
- An online application
- Bachelor's degree with at least a 3.0 GPA from an accredited institution
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Two completed graduate recommendation forms
- Instructional Level I or II certificate from PDE
Program Requirements & Questions
- Download the 36-credit degree plus certification checklist
- Download the 30-credit degree-only checklist
FOR MORE INFORMATION
(800) WILKES-U Ext. 4311