Wilkes University offers the degree in Online Teaching with embedded option for the Pennsylvania Online Instruction Endorsement. This 30-credit fully online program will develop your skills and knowledge in instructional design, effective assessment practices for online environments, building collaborative learning communities, and much more.
Online and blended learning have transformed education by increasing access, delivering technology-infused content, and providing a student-centered approach to learning.
Learn how to:
- design online learning environments
- communicate effectively with online students
- implement online learning activities that engage diverse learners
- integrate instructional design models and emerging technologies in online coursework
- promote social and ethical responsibility in online and blended classrooms.
Wilkes is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to offer the Online Instruction Endorsement. The endorsement consists of 12 credits culminating in 20 hours of field experience. It is offered as a standalone option or an embedded part of the Online Teaching degree program. Candidates interested in the endorsement must hold a valid Pennsylvania Instructional I or II teaching certificate.
New in 2019 is the Pennsylvania Flexible Instruction Day Bill that allows districts to conduct cyber snow days. Read more about this bill and how Wilkes can prepare a cohort of teachers in your district.
Courses are offered completely online with two sessions in each fall, spring, and summer semester. Courses are seven and eights weeks in length, meaning you can complete two courses each semester while focusing on one course at a time.
Program of study
Students may choose to complete the master's only (30 credits); the master's with embedded option for endorsement (30 credits); or the endorsement only (12 credits). Courses for the endorsement only option are indicated by an asterisk.
- *ED 521 Using Technology for Assessment
- ED 530 Utilizing Emerging Technologies to Improve Learning
- *ED 5030 Instructional Design for Online Educators
- *ED 5031 Facilitating Online Learning Communities
- *ED 5032 Online Teaching for Pennsylvania Educators- with 20 hours field experience
(Prerequisites: ED 521, ED 5030, ED 5031)
ED 5033 Social & Ethical Issues in Online Learning (For students not seeking the PA Online Instruction Endorsement)
- ED 5034 Action Research in the E-Learning Environment
- ED 5035 Blended and Synchronous Learning Environments
- ED 5036 Building Online Collaborative Environments
- ED 5037 Developing Online Programs
- ED 5038 Teaching and Learning in the Online Environment (To be taken last by all students in degree program)
*Required for the Pennsylvania Online Instruction Endorsement.
Applicants must have:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with appropriate major, preferably in an educational field
- Official transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- A copy of Pennsylvania Level I or II teaching certificate (if seeking the Pa. Online Instruction Endorsement)
Interested students should follow the process as outlined under the admission process
link at left.
Students who do not want to complete the degree may take some courses as a non-degree seeking student or apply for the endorsement only option. These students must apply to Wilkes but would do so as non-degree/ graduate certificate status. Follow non-degree applicant directions under the admission process link at left. Students applying for the endorsement only option must submit official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and a copy of their Pennsylvania Level I or II teaching certificate.