Earn your Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility in a convenient hybrid format.
Our PDE-approved post-graduate program is designed for K-12 administrators seeking certification to excel in a superintendent role. The program emphasizes leadership skills while providing theoretical knowledge and practical instruction. PDE-required field hours are distributed throughout the program and include a focus on research-based leadership development. A culminating internship to experience the role of the superintendent is also required.
Upon successful completion of the program, in addition to meeting PDE requirements, students will be recommended for the Letter of Eligibility.
- professional development and supervision,
- ethical and research-driven leadership practice,
- advanced educational law,
- change leadership and strategic planning,
- special education administration,
- school finance and facilities,
- curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
Online Low-Residency Format
Classes are conducted in an engaging hybrid format, blending virtual face-to-face sessions with online learning. Students also will complete a four-day low residency on-campus twice during the program as part of an integrated field requirement. These enriching residencies offer an authentic learning experience that satisfy the course field hour completion. Essential to the program is this intensive time spent learning with peers and the ability to meet and connect with leadership faculty.
The Wilkes Ed.D.
Admissions requirements for the Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility:
- Master’s degree in education or related field from an accredited institution
- Current PA administrative or supervisory certificate
- A completed online application
- Two completed recommendation forms
- Official transcripts
- Photocopies of specific Pennsylvania certifications or professional licenses
- Application fee of $35
Pennsylvania Department of Education required field hours are noted after course titles. All courses in the following course sequence have been approved for Act 45 credit.
- ED 615 Professional Seminar in Educational Leadership (integrated field hours/low residency)
- ED 625 Professional Development and Supervision (integrated field hours/research)
- ED 627 Advanced Issues in Educational Law(integrated field hours/research)
- ED 629 Strategic Planning and Thinking (integrated field hours/low residency)
- ED 672 Curriculum Design & Instructional Models (integrated field hours)
- ED 654 School Finance and Facilities Administration (integrated field hours/research)
- ED 659 Superintendent Internship (90-hour internship)
Prior Graduate Coursework
Prior graduate-level coursework may be applied from an accredited institution to the
superintendent certification program. This coursework must be equivalent to courses
in the program and be completed within the last six years with a grade of 3.0 or better.
Official transcripts must be provided.
Graduate credits taken in Wilkes Graduate Education programs must also be reviewed using this form; an official Wilkes transcript is not needed. Pass/fail grades are not transferable unless the "pass" can be substantiated in writing as a grade by the former institution. You may be asked to provide a course description and course syllabus to make a final determination of course equivalency. A review form to evaluate previous graduate coursework is available upon request.
- Tuition for the 2019-20 academic year is $772 per credit plus applicable fees.