Wilkes University is pleased to participate in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. This program allows Wilkes to cover post-9/11 veterans’ tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. Wilkes can contribute up to 50% of those expenses, and VA will match the same amount as the institution. The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.
Who is eligible?
Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) may receive this funding. Individuals may be eligible if they:
- served an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, of at least 36 months; were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and they served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001; are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® pays up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition. The student’s tuition and fees may exceed that amount if they are attending a private institution, graduate school or an out-of-state school. If they are enrolled at a Yellow Ribbon participating institution and the tuition and fees exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition, additional funds may be available for their education program without an additional charge to their entitlement.
- Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA will match that amount and issue payment directly to the institution.
- Benefits are payable for training pursued on or after Aug. 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.
- Click here to view Yellow Ribbon Program details, FAQs and recent changes on the Veterans Affairs Web site.
- Click here to learn more about Veteran Affairs at Wilkes University
“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.