In addition to traditional academic programs, Wilkes helps to further academic and business pursuits through its involvement with other organizations.
Centers and Institutions Websites
- The Allan P. Kirby Center for Free Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
is dedicated to the teaching of the principles of free enterprise and entrepreneurship.
- Center for Global Education and Diversity
provides leadership, advocacy and support in the areas of diversity initiatives, international student and scholar services, and English language learning. The Center develops programs for internationals and underrepresented groups and supports processes that promote diversity and globalization to help the students, faculty and staff of Wilkes University increasingly appreciate and maximize the benefits of inclusion, diversity and global perspectives.
- The Institute for Public Policy & Economic Development (formerly known as Joint Urban Studies Center) mobilizes the resources of regional institutions of higher education to engage communities in planning that is informed by research, energized by broad participation and validated by successful implementation. Wilkes is the managing partner of the The Institute.
- The Wilkes University Small Business Development Center
is part of the Pennsylvania Small Business Development Center network and provides education and confidential, no-cost consulting services to established small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs in in Carbon, Columbia, Luzerne, Schuylkill and Sullivan counties.
- The Family Business Alliance
The Family Business Alliance provides world class services committed in supporting, strengthening and empowering local family owned businesses through educational programs, networking, counsel and guidance; so that success is achieved for both the business and the family.
- Science in Motion (SIM)
Science in Motion provides middle and high school students with access to advanced science experiments, equipment, and instruction for enhanced STEM learning – all at no cost to the school. Mobile educators visit schools with all supplies needed for a variety of science experiments. SIM also offers professional development for teachers through workshops and interaction with other secondary teachers and university faculty.
- Schools & Homes in Education (SHINE)
SHINE is a STEAM project-based after school program for grades pre-k to 12 in six school districts throughout Luzerne County. The program runs from mid-September to May, Monday-Thursday, for approximately three hours per night. Students are provided with 25 minutes of homework assistance, a hot meal, and participate in 1.5-2 hours of a STEAM based project.
- Wilkes Institute for Environmental Science and Sustainability (WIESS)
The mission of the Wilkes Institute for Environmental Sciences and Sustainability is to facilitate faculty and undergraduate research in ecology and environmental science, to offer enhanced educational opportunities for students with interests in the regional and global environment, and to address environmental concerns in Northeast Pennsylvania through sharing of information and promotion of sustainable life styles.
- The Institute for Energy & Environmental Research (IEER)
IEER site provides in-depth analysis of controversial topics relating to Marcellus drilling. For each topic, we provide our own assessment, links to commentary by others, and an opportunity for moderated input by site users.