Requirements for Graduate International Students

Wilkes offers 25 master’s degree programs and five doctoral/terminal degree programs to help you advance your career.

Graduate Application Deadlines for International Students


If you reside outside the U.S.

If you reside in the U.S. and have a valid visa

Fall semester

(August start)

You must return your completed application and all other documents on the checklist by June 15.

You must return your completed application and all other documents on the checklist by Aug. 1.

Spring semester

(January start)

You must return your completed application and all other documents on the checklist by Nov. 15.

You must return your completed application and all other documents on the checklist by Dec. 10.

Summer semester

IEP only

You must return your completed application and all other documents on the checklist by March 15.

You must return your completed application and all other documents on the checklist by April 15.

Once the University receives all documents, processing takes one to two weeks. We will inform you of our admissions decision through the online portal.

All international graduate students must submit the Items on the checklist below.

Individual programs may require additional items including letters of recommendation, statements of goals, licenses and/or writing samples.

A completed application

Graduate Application


Official college/university transcript(s) | Official transcripts and individual marksheets in English from the institution.

Outside evaluations may be requested. These evaluations must be sent to Wilkes University directly from the evaluation company to be considered official. We accept course-by-course evaluations from:

If the language of instruction for your undergraduate degree was not English, you must present official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Wilkes University will now accept the TOEFL ITP Plus for Chinese students.

All international applicants whose education has been primarily outside the United States of America must provide objective evidence of proficiency in the English language. However, the following exceptions apply:

 Applicants primarily educated in the following countries/territories:

  • American Samoa
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada 
  • Cayman Islands
  • Christmas Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Dominica
  • Falkland Islands
  • Federated States of Micronesia
  • Fiji
  • Gibraltar
  • The Gambia
  • Guyana
  • Ghana
  • Grenada
  • Guam
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Malawi
  • Malta
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritius
  • Montserrat
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Niue
  • Norfolk Island
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Palau
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Saint Helena
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Samoa
  • Sandwich Islands
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa (English-speaking, i.e. not Afrikaans)
  • South Georgia Islands
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • United States
  • United Kingdom
  • US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John)
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

TOEFL Paper Based


TOEFL Computer Based


TOEFL Internet Based




ELS Successful Completion






WESLI Successful Completion


Duolingo English Test


You must receive a sufficient TOEFL orIELTSscore or study in the Intensive English Program in order to begin graduate studies. No academic courses may be completed until the English requirement has been fulfilled.

Please see IEP exit criteria.

You will need to submit a bank or government statement indicating that you or your sponsor have on account a sum of money sufficient to pay tuition, room, board and expenses for one academic year.

International Student Certification of Finances

You must submit a copy of the passport page containing your picture. If you have a visa, you may send a copy of that as well.

You may complete your graduate application online. All official documents must be sent directly to:

Graduate Admissions
Wilkes University
84 West South Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766

Once the University receives all documents, processing takes two to three Wilkes University will inform all applicants of the admissions decision. We will only send the Form I-20 with a letter of acceptance.

Wilkes University offers a limited number of graduate assistant positions. Please review the requirements, open positions and application information.

We’re happy to help you with the application process. Email the International Graduate Admissions office or call 1-800-WilkesU ext. 4235 with any questions.

Once you have been admitted into the graduate program of your choice, you are required to transfer your SEVIS number from your current domestic college or university to Wilkes University.

In order to transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University, please submit a copy of your Wilkes acceptance letter and the International Student Transfer Form to your Designated School Official (DSO) at your current institution and follow the procedures for international transfer students at your current school.

The DSO will complete the International Student Transfer Form and fax it back to Jonathan Summersat 570-408-4106. Your DSO will then transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University.

Once you arrive on campus, we will issue you a new I-20 for your studies at Wilkes. If you have any questions about this process, please contact Jonathan Summers at 570-408-4106 or your current International Student Advisor or DSO.

When you come to pick up your new I-20 from Wilkes University, you should bring all relevant documents to the Center for Global Education and Diversity in the Max Roth Center.

These documents include:

  • Your passport with visa and I-94
  • Your old I-20
  • Your Wilkes acceptance letter
  • Your completed InternationalStudent Transfer Form(could be faxed by your old DSO in advance)
  • Financial documents that show that you or your sponsors have sufficient funding for your education at Wilkes University.

Please try to have your SEVIS record transferred to Wilkes University as soon as possible, once the current semester is over.

If you plan to travel outside the country, it is recommended that you transfer your SEVIS record to Wilkes University first and then use your new I-20 from Wilkes University to re-enter the country.


Abby Love
Associate Director, International Admissions
Phone | 570-408-4400
WhatsApp | 1-570-899-4814
Email |