The General Education Committee is charged with reviewing all core courses and recommending changes to the core to the full faculty.
The Committee Charge
- develop mission and outcomes for the General Education curriculum;
- approve courses that can be designated CI or OPO;
- work with the University Assessment Committee to develop assessment processes for the General Education curriculum;
- proactively monitor the General Education curriculum and propose changes to the Curriculum Committee, as required, based on internal and external sources; and
- monitor all policies related to the General Education curriculum and propose any changes to the Curriculum Committee.
- Seven faculty members, comprised of three faculty members elected at large and one elected faculty member representing each of the four areas of the General Education curriculum;
- a voting student representative; and
- three nonvoting ex-officio members, comprised of representatives of the Provost’s office, Registrar’s office, and Admissions office.
- This committee may solicit members with expertise to develop criteria and guidelines for the competency areas.
Reporting Relationship: The Faculty
General Education Mission/Vision Statement:
The general education curriculum at Wilkes University provides a liberal arts foundation for life-long intellectual development and personal growth, engenders a sense of values and civic responsibility, and prepares all students to meet the opportunities and challenges of a diverse and continually changing world. The general education curriculum fosters the development of communication, intellectual and technical skills, and introduces Wilkes students to a broad range of disciplinary perspectives, and provides the opportunity to develop problem solving and critical thinking skills and awareness of the world beyond the classroom.
2020 - 2021 Members
- Kalen Churcher (At large), Co-Chair
- Bobby Karimi (Area II), Co-Chair
- Chris Zarpentine (Area I)
- Laura Skoronski Chavez (Area III)
- Lisa Reynolds (Area IV)
- Kim Ference (At large)
- Helen Davis (At large)
- Liam Flynn
- Anthony Kapolka (FYF Director)
- Amy Patton (Admissions)
- Joe Kultys (Registrar's Office)
- Brian Bogert (Institutional Research)
- FAC Liaison:
- Yong Zhu