Planning a career experience takes time and commitment on your part.
Résumés must be sent and interviews arranged. The process may require you to compete with students from other colleges and universities for co-ops and internships. To help ensure your success, start planning weeks ahead of time by visiting our office and making an appointment with Sharon Castano so she can assist you with the internship process – during pre-registration if possible.
Are you a Wilkes student interested in an internship or co-op opportunity?
If you are serious, these steps will guide you through the application process:
- Create or update your résumé to bring to the Cooperative Education & Internship Office for review.
- Identify areas of interest and potential internship sites.
- Visit the Cooperative Education & Internship Office located in the first floor lounge of the Henry Student Center. We'll help with the application process including: career counseling and testing, intern/co-op site selection, individualized résumé preparation and critiques, and interview-skills training.
- Send résumés and cover letters to potential internship sites.
- Schedule a mock interview with your Co-op advisor of someone from Career Services.
- Review the company website or literature prior to an interview.
- Interview with potential supervisors.
- Send thank-you notes to the employer(s) following the interviews.
- If you have been accepted, ask one of your professors to be your faculty coordinator.
- Schedule an appointment with the Cooperative Education Office to fill out regristration paperwork. This paperwork is required.
- Meet with your academic department chairperson, for approval of your registration for academic credits.